Chapter 76: Our Exit

I am lying relaxed on the bed, my eyes heavy with a fresh tiredness. I must've fallen asleep. Though I wake to the sound of a familiar voice located somewhere in my room.

"They all expect us to change the world," the voice begins. "Whether that means destroying it or saving it. For the longest time, I didn't care which it meant. I always just tried to survive..."

I don't move; don't turn my head or speak. Keep my breathing even. Though I recognize the voice in an instant.

Five.

He is talking freely; speaking his mind without trouble.

Let him.

I wish to listen without judgement.

"I know you're awake," he says then. "I want to thank you Emily."

I lift my head; sit up.

"Thank me? For what?" I ask.

"For being my Cêpan," he replies. When I look to him in confusion, he explains, "Ever since I've known you, you have done so much to help me. More than protecting and training. Refraining from encouraging me to take sides. Educating me on the history of both the Loric and the Mogs, with no preference or judgement for one or the other. Teaching of legacies; the root, the cause, the potential that I could hold. Informing me of what the items in my Inheritance does and the origins behind it."

He pauses to gather his thoughts.

Then continues, "You gave me options Emily. You gave me the choice to become who I wanted to be. Not what anyone else expected me to be. And no matter what choices I made, you never judged me for them. You always believed in me. I know you only think of yourself as human, unworthy of receiving legacies - or even the most powerful one of them all. But I don't believe that a bit. I believe you are worthy to hold that power. You may think one of the Garde could've put that legacy to better use, but only because you don't see what you are capable of."

I pause; respond without meeting Fives gaze, "One time I had a vision where I spoke to Pittacus Lore... he told me that I had the power to stop this war and unite our two worlds. Loric and human, and Mogadorians in between. I never knew what he meant..."

Another pause.

"I would believe him," Five says. "If there's anyone to prevent what happened on Lorien from happening again, it would be you. Someone who is able to see both sides. Who remains neutral in the face of a war between two opposing species. Who, in the heat of battle, protects all life above her own. That is why Setrákus Ra won't win. That is why he is trying so hard to turn you. To make you like him. Because having your power and valor and devotion and strength, guarantees a victory. But it also guarantees defeat if he fails to bring you to his side. Emily, you are basically the bridge between all our people. Loric, human, Mogadorian. If anyone can stop chaos from ensuing, it's you."

I stare at Five, in awe of the words he has spoken of me.

"Five..." I start, unsure of how to respond. "I- I don't know what to say. Just, thank you."

Five smiles ever so slightly; stands from the chair.

"If you want to escape, now is our chance. We have entered Earth's atmosphere a little while ago. I can fly us off the Anubis if you want," he continues.

I smile and pull myself out from the covers to lay my feet flat on the floor.

"Let's get out of here," I say.

Five nods and gestures to the desk he sat at. "I brought you some other clothes, in case you are uncomfortable in that gown. Go ahead and change. I'll be waiting outside. Be quick."

And just like that, Five exits the room.

Sweatpants and a plain white tee. Seems normal enough. I change into them, relieved to get out of that itchy black gown. Surprisingly they fit me just right, and I do feel much more comfortable wearing clothes that suit me.

Where did Five get these clothes? Did he steal them? From some sort of hidden wardrobe on the Anubis? I decide not to think about it.

Once I'm finished changing, I leave my room to join Five.

But he isn't out here. The hallway is empty; devoid of mogs and the Loric.

"Five?" I say aloud in a quiet whisper.

"Up here," he responds, and I glance up to find him hovering in flight directly above me, his back pressed to the hallway's ceiling. It's a tall ceiling that must stretch at least eight feet in height. Even from a distance, it would be difficult to spot Five if he kept perfectly still. "Just a fly on the wall – or ceiling in this case," he adds before floating down to my side.

"There aren't any mogs though. Was that really necessary?" I ask curiously.

Five just shrugs and replies, "True. But there are always cameras. We don't know for sure, but he could be monitoring us right now."

"Well, we better hurry then," I state, offering him my hand.

Five nods and takes it, and together, we walk through the corridors of the ship toward the docking bay.

Our exit.