Chapter 108: The End is Nigh

"And you're sure this will work?" Agent Walker asks outside in the field of our safehouse.

"It has to," I reply without an ounce of doubt.

After Setrákus Ra's broadcast where he came out and openly gave his demands and requests to the entire world, we have formulated a plan. It has taken up to 16 hours and it may not be the best, but we have one.

The president, President Jackson, called for our assistance with organizing a response to the Beloved Dictator's broadcast. I suppose seeing warships hovering over at least 20 of your cities will begin to open your eyes. If only MogPro opened them a long time ago, we might not be in this mess. Anyway, he asked for a representative to be transported to his secret underground bunker in Washington, DC. Even said he'll send a private government helicopter to pick them up.

John agreed to it, figuring it best if we worked together with the president even though he really has no idea what is going on.

So Malcolm, Henri, BK, and Sam have appointed themselves to go to this secret bunker. To discuss the situation at large, inform them of our plan in motion, and make the necessary preparations.

With the little explanations I gave and the reconnaissance that Lexa did, everyone now knows of the warship shields. To be able to break them so that the cities can launch their counterattack without civilian casualties, we're going to need a bunch of cloaking devices.

On that note, it was decided that John, Adam, Six, Dust, Lexa, and Nine will take the Loric vessel to New York City and take over the warship. Although John, Six, Adam, and Dust will be the only ones going on board. Nine will remain on the ground with Lexa in case anything goes sideways.

Then, once the cloaking devices are acquired, they'll fly them to the Loralite stone in New Mexico. At that point, Eight, Marina, Five, Agatha, Ella, Olivia, and Crayton should have already arrived via an FBI chopper and dug out the stone, ready to deliver sacks full of the things to each city under siege.

And me? Well, I'm on my own.

"Are you sure you'll be okay?" asks John at my side.

"I'll be fine. I have Pixie," I respond. "I won't be doing this alone."

Ever since I mentioned following Setrákus Ra's orders and meeting him at Liberty Island before his deadline expires, John has been constantly worrying.

"I know, but... I just hate that you have to do this. We should be facing him together," he says. "As a team."

Despite the stakes we are in, I bring myself to smile. I'm glad he knows. Though there is one aspect I have yet to tell him.

I take his hand in mine and look him in the eyes to ensure I have his full attention. Then say, "We talked about this John. You need to get those cloaking devices. It is the only way to end this war once and for all. Even if I do manage to kill Setrákus Ra, the commanders in charge of those ships will just battle each other for power, using Earth as their battlefield. It would still be chaos. We need to stay focused and stick to the plan." John appears saddened, not wanting to let go of my hand. I pull him into a hug. We stay like so for a long minute, until I whisper into his ear with my arms over his shoulders, "Besides, I've got backup."

And at that point, John pulls away, looking confused. "What do you mean you have backup?"

As if on cue, Agent Walker approaches behind me; asks, "Ready to go Emily?"

"In a minute."

Now John tilts his head and arches his eyebrows. "Her?"

I nod; explain, "I talked to her. I asked if she could come with me, just in case. She'll pretend to have captured me and turn me in. I'll get close to him and stab him right in his sick purple scar." John's expression seems to turn sour. "I'm sorry for not telling you John. I know I should have, but I just thought you would be against it." I lower my voice so Walker doesn't overhear. "I know you don't entirely trust her after all she has done and I know it would mean putting her life in danger, but-"

John kisses my lips.

It's a long kiss and I'm confused by the unexpected affection when he pulls away. Shyly, I tuck a strand of loose hair behind my ear and John tilts my chin back up so that I look him in the eyes.

"I'm not mad," he says at first. "I'm glad you're bringing her with you. It's true that I don't really trust her after everything that happened – I don't even know if I ever will – but these are desperate times. We're fighting a war and we're nearing the end. If there was ever a time for any of us to take a leap of faith, it would be now. As much as I distrust her, I trust her enough to keep you safe."

This time I smile wider and hug him and kiss him again.

When all of a sudden, the sound of helicopter rotors whir in my ears. Ahead of us flies a black government chopper. It lands and the doors open.

"Which of you are coming to the bunker?" asks one of the three men inside.

Malcolm, Henri, and Sam step forward.

Henri speaks, "We are."

"Hop in."

They do. And the chopper takes off. Not a minute wasted.

We watch until it is no longer in sight and until the noise is no longer heard. John walks with me to the FBI helicopter in the field. We kiss one final time before I climb inside. My hand gently sliding out of John's grasp, I whisper, "May we meet again."

And as our helicopter takes off, I watch the Loric ship do the same.