Chapter 158: Fun Times in Hard Times

~ Five Months Later ~

The past months have been hell. Not hell in the sense that I've had green ooze sizzling into my flesh or saw remnants of a merciless killer. But in a way that whenever I see my Mother or Brother on this ship of five rooms – six if you include the common area – I am reminded of my Father.

My Father and his final stand.

It's the same for the rest of my family as it is for me. I know it is. I can sense it. And it hurts like hell.

It hurts like hell.

Some days I do simple training exercises with the Garde; John or Nine. Some days I do Tai Chi with Six. Some days I meditate with Eight some days I meditate on my own. Some days all I do is talk and chat and some days I don't at all.

Every day I mourn the loss and regret leaving. Every day.

No matter how hard it is to keep track of the time in space no matter how hard it feels to keep pressing forward, that is the only constant. The only consistent. Mourning the loss. Seeing his face. Begging Lorien for a do-over; begging Lorien to reverse time. So I can try again try harder.

It's obvious that the pleas do nothing.

Crying is a normal part of my routine on this ship. No matter how hard I try for it not to be. If I am not crying, I am distant. Not keen on chatting not keen on eating not keen on doing.

Pixie still follows me around constantly. Even when she plays with my Brother, hopping through and in circles around his legs, I can feel her watching me whenever I meditate, cry, or rest.

Some nights I sleep well. Most nights I don't. That is when John and I spend the best time together. In another room away from the other sleeping occupants and cuddling kissing caressing until we both fall asleep in the arms of the other.

"Hey Em, wanna do some one-on-one?" asked Nine as he usually does, interrupting my time of meditation.

"Sure," I said to him telepathically and smiled.

And that is what we've been doing since then.

With Nine on the silver metal ceiling of the training room of the ship, his palms turned outward as he expects me to hit, I stay light on my feet. Hold my ground firm but stay light on my feet.

I punch twice into his right hand then follow with a punch to his left. Strong, fast, and fierce.

And normal. Those of us with elemental legacies or legacies that pose as a danger to the internal tech of the ship, we aren't allowed to use them. That includes my Eneration.

Nine throws a fist of his own at my head. While we both agreed for a legacy-free training session, I sneak in a little telekinesis to help me dodge his blow. Adding just a bit of telekinetic pressure to my body to make myself more easily manipulatable, hoping Nine doesn't notice. Then, with a satisfied smirk, I reel my right fist back and, with my swing, push my telekinesis out until it smacks into Nine's palm and sends him backwards off his feet. He shouts and falls from the ceiling and I catch him before he hits the ground; lower him gently and offer a hand to help him up.

"Cheater," Nine spits with a casual grin.

I smile then shrug. Until I feel an invisible weight crash into my chest and cause me to stumble a few feet backward. I try to maintain my footing try not to trip over my own feet, but when that invisible weight plays with my recovery, I only plummet to the floor.

I only grunt when my butt hits the floor before looking up to find Nine standing over me with his hands on his hips.

"We agreed no legacies Em," he says with a playful smile, holding out his hand. That's how I know it was Nine's telekinesis that got me. Getting me back for my act of cheating.