Chapter 157: Whirlwind

It is 9:37 am.

Whenever I close my eyes, I see him. Whenever I blink, I see him. Always the same; in pain and terrified, terrified and in pain. Always the same.

John has rarely left my side and I couldn't be any more grateful for that. If I had to stand up here without him and pretend that everything is alright, I likely would've broke. I am trying my hardest not to cry and break down in front of everyone, but even so, I cannot stop my body from going rigid and tense. Only then does John put an arm around my waist, take my hand, or whisper, "I'm here."

And my heart calms.

Nine is at the front of the wooden stage set up early this morning. In the middle of the HGA courtyard; the largest open space there is on campus. The air is fair and the clouds drift gently from east to west. There is little wind but still I can feel it brush my skin.

I stand with John, Pixie at my feet. Along with Malcolm and Sam, Lexa and Agatha, Karen Walker and Colonel Archibald, and the half a dozen Chimærae.

Every student murmurs with newfound anticipation while they stare up at us and at the Loric ship parked behind the stage in the background. All of the supplies are onboard. All that is left to do is let Nine make his speech to his students; to inform them of what is to come.

Nine pops his whistle into his mouth; blows.

The crowd settles and their Professor begins, "Attention! I bet you are all wondering why you've been pulled from your classes. I bet you are all wondering why there is a spaceship behind me."

There are shouts and questions directed at him while the clouds drift east.

"Are you going to space?!"

"Is something wrong?!"

"How fast can that thing fly?!"

"Where are you going?! What about us?!"

"Why are you leaving?!"

"What are we supposed to do?!"

Some of them are angry shouts. Some of them just confused. Some even afraid; I hear it in their voices and feel it in their postures. No matter the emotion, it is a little overwhelming.

Nine raises his hand, brings his whistle to his mouth again, and blows twice.

"Settle down! Settle down!" he shouts then. "Let me explain."

And that he does.

Since the day I mentioned flying back to Lorien to restore it, Nine tells them all of what our mission is as well as what they are meant to do while we are gone.

He waves a hand in my direction, inviting me to come to his aid.

I follow his gesture; approach his side and look out at the few hundred students, all of whom I promised to protect.

I breathe in a deep breath with my eyes closed until a flashback of his last stand appears to mind once again. Though this time, I don't ignore it or find grief in it. But rather find the energy swirl inside me like a vicious whirlwind of activity.

A whirlwind of rage and energy needing to destroy and kill.

It is harder to push down those stronger feelings and deeper thoughts. I need to focus on the present; focus on what matters today.

I let the energy in my system fill to emit the cobalt azure light in my eyes for a mere second before letting it dissipate and calm.

My vision changes from all color to shades of blue. A blue sparkle of Lorien appears in my view in the hearts of all the Loric and all the Human Garde. Yet no one is aware of it but me.

The students stare return to silence stare.

"The Loric Elder, Pittacus Lore, from the deceased planet Lorien," I start, calm cold and determined. "He has shown me what I am capable of." I hold out a hand shimmering with my legacy; hold it out to the crowd and put my Eneration on display. "My legacy, Eneration, is the power to give life. To manipulate currents of energy to my will. In others. In the environment. Recently it has come to my attention that I am able to restore the planet to its core. As it was long ago. It is an opportunity to rebuild an entire culture and an entire race. Therefore, today we depart. In a year we will return and Lorien will rise out of the ashes. It was difficult to plan for, but even harder to come to the decision. Mainly because, well you see, the ship that brought them here can only carry so many. It cannot carry us all."

Nine puts a hand on my shoulder and I let the energy in my palm fade before he continues, "That is why Karen Walker and her team of qualified trusted former agents are here. Herself as well as Colonel Archibald are here to ensure your continued protection. The academy will remain open and your classes will resume as normal. The only difference will be a substitute teacher filling in for Dr. Goode in science class and temporary nonexistent training sessions in the Lecture Hall. However, that doesn't mean you do not have homework from me and can slack off." Nine pauses to crack a smile and place his hands on his hips. "While I will not be present to watch your training progress, I will award an early graduation to any students who can beat my obstacle course three times before my return in three years."

At that, nearly all of the students gain excitement. All but Taylor Cook and Ran Takeda and Caleb Crane, who I notice to be quieter and staring desolately at Nine and I.

I meet Taylor's gaze and she meets mine. And I wink at her, letting a soft smile edge to my face. Then think simply, "I am trusting you to keep everyone in line."

John approaches my other side and clings his hand to mine before giving the instruction for the students to disperse and return to class. But as expected, Taylor, Kopano, Ran, Nigel, Caleb, and Isabela stay behind.

While the Garde and Cêpan follow Lexa onto the ship to get it ready to fly, Malcolm and Sam do the same as they herd the Chimærae together to get them all onboard after them. Though Pixie remains at my feet and before John and I can trail the others up the ramp to the ship, Kopano calls, "Emily, wait!"

John and I both turn, and I sense Nine do so as well further up the ramp, watching down on us.

"You're leaving?" Kopano starts. "I'll miss you."

I smile; nod. "It has been too long since Lorien's fall. Now that I am certain that my legacy is what is necessary to restore the planet as it was, I have to go," I reply, and put a hand on the Nigerian kid's broad shoulder. "You're a good guy Kopano. Brave, strong, loyal. You have helped me find myself in a time that I needed to. Take care of yourself. Take care of them. Take care of Taylor."

Kopano smiles and nods.

"What did you mean when you said you are trusting me to keep everyone in line?" Taylor asks then and at the question Kopano and the other four students look confused.

"I know what you're capable of Taylor," I say. "Smart, confident, and resilient. A natural leader. Don't doubt your abilities. Don't doubt your skills. Because if things get tricky without us here, you are one of the few that can keep peace. I believe in you."

For an initial moment, Taylor only stares. There is confusion in her eyes and confusion in all of their eyes, but regardless of it, I smile at them before turning with John to continue up the ramp.

John and I follow Pixie who bounds up the metal ramp to the ship and we enter the cockpit. Lexa presses the button to retract the ramp and soon we are airborne.

I watch the six students wave us goodbye along with Walker and Archibald and the former agents scattered around. I watch them wave and I wave back through the window beside my seat as we rise higher into the sky.

Kopano Okeke. Taylor Cook. Ran Takeda. Nigel Barnaby. Isabela Silva. Caleb Crane.

I hope to see you again.