Chapter 8: Pixie

Room 4.

"How convenient," I think.

I swipe the card and enter.

There's an average-sized double bed across from a standard television set. Furthest from the door is a bathroom equipped with clean towels and fresh soap. A coffee pot and kettle sit on the cabinet to which the mounted T.V. lies above on the wall.

I'm not much of a coffee person; I prefer tea. I'll make some after a shower.

I lay my backpack on the clean bed and retrieve the cricket from my pocket. Then proceed to shower.

I stay under the hot water for as long as I can; until my feet begin to ache. When I'm finished, I dry myself off and look at my reflection in the mirror.

I still have a red mark from when the Mogadorian choked me. I still feel his grip; can remember perfectly the sensation of having no air. I trace my neck; lightly graze the redness with a gentle touch of my finger.

I'm bound to experience more pain if I join the Loric; I know this. I could turn back now; go home to my family. Live my normal life and not worry about being hurt again.

"No," I think. "I can help them, and I know I must."

I put on a fresh set of clothes. They aren't quite pyjama material but it's all I thought to pack. I don't mind. I often sleep in normal clothes; everything I wear is comfortable as such anyway.

I put on the kettle and turn on the news.

With a mug of tea in hand, I sidle up beside the Chimæra on the bed, whom has returned to its rabbit form and resting peacefully.

I watch the television screen for a few minutes. There are images of Mark James' burnt house. The damage is much worse than when I saw livestreamed. Almost all of it is charred.

A small portion of the screen displays a video on repeat with no audio, showing John Smith jumping through the second-floor window with Sarah.

"The video was taken on a cell phone by a Paradise resident; a male student of Paradise High," the reporter says. "The boy you see in the footage is commonly known as John Smith. He is new to town and recently registered to the same school. Not much information was found on him and he refused to be interviewed at the scene. Though police are currently looking into the matter."

I mute the volume, allowing the visuals to be ongoing while I listen to silence set in.

I turn to the bunny, whom watches me with tired eyes.

"So, you're a Chimæra," I start. The rabbit perks its head up. "And you're from Lorien?"

Its small tail bobbles when I mention the planet of its origins.

"Do you have a name?" I ask.

The rabbit sits up excitedly. I don't know what that means. It would be so much easier if John were here; he could use animal telepathy to help me understand.

"Can I give you a name?" I ask next.

The bunny hops closer, putting its front paws on my chest. I smile; take that as a 'yes'.

"Ok," I say. "First things first, are you a girl or a boy?"

The rabbit flops over, seeking a belly rub. I oblige happily.

"Girl huh?" I say in answer to my own question. "I'm going to name you..."

I take a moment to think.

The rabbit, upside down, looks at me with glee and patience.

Looking into her gentle green eyes and feeling her soft light brown fur; a name comes to mind.

"Pixie," I decide. "I'm going to name you Pixie."

Pixie hops closer to sniff my face until her small wet nose touches my nose.

Keeping an arm around my new Chimæra companion, I turn my attention back to the T.V.

I unmute the volume and lay my head tiredly beside the bunny's.

"Tomorrow we have a big day," I say with a yawn. "We need to find John Smith. He's somewhere nearby. Do you think- we can find him in time?"

My eyes start to close. While I can sense Pixie's eyes do the same, I know she believes we can.