Chapter 48: Free, Don't Feel

"How could you do that?!" Six shouts as soon as John informs them all.

"I didn't have a choice Six," I say quietly, ashamed. "I didn't have a choice. I'm sorry."

"Don't be sorry Emily," Henri says, which I find surprising. "You did what you had to do. I think any of us would've done the same."

I try to offer a smile, even if only the tiniest one.

By the time John and I returned to the living room to tell the rest of what has happened, I received a response from the sender. However, it wasn't a text, but rather a call.

John took ahold of my hand as I answered it and put it on speaker phone.

"About time," said a raspy deep voice.

I felt John squeeze my hand and I squeezed back.

"Whoever you are, you have my family. I'm willing to do whatever it takes for them to be let free. Just tell me where to go and what to do," I said, unwavering with angry determination.

"You know exactly who we are," the voice answered. "Our people will come for you shortly. It is only a matter of time. Stay put."

I remember the way John looked into my eyes. The mogs knew where we were, though it didn't surprise either of us. I was in contact with them only minutes ago. I gave away our location. That too, is my fault. They likely tracked my phone and are headed here to Chicago now.

"You guys know the plan right?" I ask for what feels like the hundredth time.

Everyone nods.

"Stay hidden in the depths of the parking garage while you and Six wait for them to arrive. Six will be invisible and radio us when they leave. Then head down to us and we follow them," Marina recaps.

John wraps both his hands tightly around my one. "I hate the idea of leaving you and letting them take you. Again," he says.

"I know," I reply after a moment. "But I have to do this John. Wherever they take me, whatever happens, please don't come for me unless you're sure it is safe."

He nods, although I can tell it pains him to do so.

"Alright, let's go everyone!" Henri shouts. "The mogs should be here any minute, and we don't want to be here when they are. Let's get down to the parking garage!"

Those with Chests pick up their Chests. Sam carries the valuables from his dad's bunker. BK sticks with John.

Pixie, refusing to leave my side, stays with me. I am not as worried about her safety this time around. After John and Nine both tried to encourage her to follow them, thus failing, they have communicated the plan to her too.

And so, Pixie transforms into a caterpillar and crawls up my wrist. I place her in my shirt pocket while John follows the others into the elevator. Six remains by my side.

John is the last one to enter the elevator. Before the doors close, John eyes me nervously. I offer my most reassuring smile to try and convey that I'll be alright, even though I'm having a hard time convincing myself that.

Once everyone but Six, Pixie, and I are gone, the penthouse goes eerily silent.

Six puts a hand on my shoulder. "We won't be far behind. Whatever happens, you just focus on getting your family out of there."

"I can't focus on anything other than that anyway," I reply coldly without turning to look her in the eyes, my gaze keenly kept on the elevator's closed doors. 

She lets go of my shoulder and the next second, she is invisible.

Just as I see her body fade to nothing but air, an explosion rocks the penthouse and a portion of the roof in front of me caves in. My arms stick out at my sides to maintain my balance.

A Mogadorian lands sturdily in my face. He is tall, at least eight feet, and pale, and he towers over me. He wears a long black trench coat that nearly touches the floor with an otherworldly cannon strapped to his waist. He reeks of death, of blood, of war.

I don't flinch when he takes a step closer. I don't run away. I don't sneer or cry or speak or sigh. I make no aggressive action. Though I can feel Pixie in my shirt pocket squirm once at the Mogadorian's looming figure.

I take a deep breath.

The Mogadorian stops an inch away from my petite figure.

"Human," it growls deeply. "Are you ready?"

I stare hard. "You have my family. I'll do anything to make sure they're free."

The alien holds out its pale hand.

Although with hesitation, the only reason why I take it is because of the thought that if I don't, my Mother, Father, and Brother are as good as dead.

The mogs hand is cold and nearly twice the size as mine.

As soon as I take it, the Mogadorian jumps upward, outside and to the roof, pulling me along with him.

He drops me once we are outside. My knees hit the roof with a ragged outbreath. The wind blows through my hair and the sound of helicopter rotors turning at full speed is present in my ears.

He takes ahold of the back of my shirt and pulls me to my feet. Then presumes to lead me to the copter. I don't put up much of a fight, for fear for my loved ones' safety. Though I do, however, use my telekinesis to search the inside of my pocket, to ensure that Pixie is still inside.

She is.

I am pushed into the helicopter and soon the doors close and the vehicle takes flight.

While gazing at the dimming light, the sun just beginning to make its way below the skyline of Chicago, I think simply, "Please Six. Please let everything be well."