Chapter 37: Nightmares Within Nightmares

A nightmare arises.

I'm in that same torture room again, watching idly as Setrákus Ra deals pain to Henri.

Whenever the blade makes contact with Henri's body, time seems to slow down, making it seem like it lasts forever. I can't turn away. I'm forced to look at his pain. When Setrákus Ra throws the dagger to his chest, I don't use telekinesis to stop it. It simply penetrates his heart.

Time seems to slow even further as the blade pierces Henri's chest.

When it's over, it's as if the scene rewinds and repeats. Over and over. Again and again.

I cry.

Though it isn't water that I cry; but blood instead. From the corners of both eyes, sticky red drops drip down my cheeks.

I have no control over my movements.

I am not gagged. I try to speak, but no words sound. I can feel my mouth moving, pleading for him to stop; to have Henri's suffering end. Yet there is no end to it.

All I can do is watch.

Then, as the blade enters Henri's chest for the final time, the nightmare changes. From total darkness that I may as well be blind to the dark grey of the room, I am suddenly in Henri's perspective.

Setrákus Ra stands in front of me, the silver dagger glistening in the light above.

Although time still moves slowly, it happens so fast.

When it touches his chest – my chest – I snap awake.

Where am I? What happened?

I'm lying in my bed at Nine's penthouse. I'm back in Chicago? What happened to the Garde? To Henri? To Six?

I sit up in bed. The Chimæra I have come to love – whom is known to always sleep at my feet – is not there.

"Pixie?" I say aloud, hoping she is somewhere in my room.

Nothing. Pixie is nowhere in sight.

I attempt to stand up, but immediately collapse back down to the bed's covers. I try to stand again, and just before I fall, I catch myself on the wall.

The door to the bedroom bathroom is open a few inches and, in the mirror, something catches my eye.

My face. My arms.

They are covered in blood and scars. Not to mention the green scars on my wrists from that sizzling ooze.

My eyes are red, as if my eyes bleed too.

It's a horrific sight. Is that what he did to me?

When I touch my face, there is no blood on my hand. I don't feel anything. What happened?

Slowly, I walk out of my room. I walk down the hall slowly and quietly.

I'm almost at the living room when I hear Nine yelling. Soon to hear John yell back shortly after. It sounds like a fight. Though I don't know what about.

When I reach the living room, I stop and lean against the wall, tired as I feel.

John is sitting on the couch. Nine is up in his face.