Chapter 15: To Give Answers

On our way out of Paradise, we ran into a terrible storm of extreme wind and rain. It seemed to come out of nowhere. Though it didn't last long because we were soon to meet Number Six.

Now stopped at a motel just a few short hours away from Paradise, everyone is curious about my presence and how I got here and how I ended up with a Chimæra and why I chose to help.

Huddled together in one motel room with Pixie in my lap, I begin.

"Pittacus Lore," I start. "An Elder on the planet Lorien. Recorder of the fates and chronicler of the legacies. He's written his story in manuscripts."

"Manuscripts?" asks Henri with an equal level of surprise in his voice as well as confusion.

"Yeah," I say. "Ten novels and 21 novellas. Explaining everything involved in the war between the Loric and Mogadorians. Only a limited amount of his work was released to the public. I was lucky enough to acquire every text. It's how I found you. I've read it all."

"What's it about?" Sam asks. "Is it like – I don't know – a conspiracy theory? Or something else?"

"I wouldn't say conspiracy theory. It's more like a story. For the longest time, I thought it was complete fiction. Until I saw a livestream on YouTube of John jumping out of Mark's burning house."

I notice Henri give John a hard look.

"I came as quickly as I could," I continue. "I knew I needed to. Everything Pittacus Lore has recorded – good and bad – I knew I could help. I know where all the Garde are. I know the events that are likely to occur. I know how to end the war between your people and the Mogadorians."

"What's with the bunny?" Six asks, watching Pixie lie calmly in my lap.

"Oh, I found her as I was journeying to Paradise," I answer. Pixie glares at me as if I am not telling the full truth. I smile. "Well, ok. More like she found me."

"What do you mean?" John asks.

"On my way to find you, I was attacked by Mogadorians," I clarify. "I came all the way from Canada. Shortly after I crossed the border, they found me."

I avert my gaze, refusing to look anyone in the eyes as I recall the memory.

"I almost died that day," I say, my voice a soft whisper. "If it weren't for Pixie, I definitely would have. She saved my life."

There is silence.

"Pixie?" Sam finally says, noting the name with interest.

"Yeah. That's what I named her," I reply. "I don't know how she found me that day. I don't know where she came from. I don't even know why it was me she chose to save. It didn't make sense."

Everyone eyes Pixie with a curious interest.

"I would be happy to help you understand her," John replies. "I can communicate with animals – and Chimæra."

I smile and reply, "That would be great."