Chapter 25: An Energy In The Air

"Me?" I respond. "How? Why? What makes you think that? There's nothing special about me; I'm only human. An ordinary human. It could be anyone."

"I don't think so," Henri continues. "Just think about it."

"Think about what?" John asks while everyone is silent in thought and confusion.

"Pixie," Henri says, approaching to put a hand on my shoulder. Pixie runs to us at the sound of her name and sits at my feet.

I look down at Pixie then back at Henri in confusion, not following.

"What about her?" I ask.

"Why do you think she chose to save you that day?" Henri replies. "Why do you think the stone started glowing the second you touched it?"

"Henri, I don't understand," I say.

"Are you saying there's more to Emily than we know?" asks Sam.

"There might be," Henri states. "Now, I don't know for sure, but I do believe that you are here for a unique reason Emily. That there is a reason it is you and not some other human. That it is you that Pixie found. I don't have any answers, but I trust we will find out more about what just happened when the time is right."

I don't know what to say. I don't feel any different than Sam or my friends back home. I'm just a normal, ordinary, selfless teenager that is trying her best to keep Earth safe.

I slide out from under Henri's arm and am about to tell him so when I notice something strange. Almost like an energy in the air radiating something hurtful. Damaging.

It's not a good feeling.

"Do you feel that?" I ask all of a sudden.

"Feel what?" asks Marina.

"Something's wrong," I say.

Immediately after I say so, does an explosion rock the cave.

The ground rumbles. The walls crumble.

"What the hell is going on?!" Six shouts, trying to maintain her footing.

"Mogadorians!" Eight responds after teleporting to the outside and back a few seconds later with a wound at his side. "They're here!"

Eight falls to his knees as soon as he reappears back in the cave clutching his wounded side and Marina hurries to his side to heal him.

"What do we do?" Sam asks.

"We fight," Henri says.

"There are a lot of them," Eight mentions, just finding his way back to his feet. "At least a couple dozen with what I could see. With likely more on the way."

"It doesn't matter," Henri continues. "There are more of us now. We are all together except Five. I trust we can handle a couple dozen and flee safely."

"Are you sure?" Adelina asks with uncertainty.

Henri does not hesitate. "I am," he says.