Chapter 46: Mixed Messages

Whenever I close my eyes, I see them. The faces of my family as they looked during the vision. Gagged. In pain. Bruised. Their wrists and ankles bound with rope. Setrákus Ra watching them squirm.

My Mother. My Father. My younger Brother.

I never intended to put them in danger. When I left home to help the Loric, never once did I think my family would be in danger.

They want me. I didn't think they'd be so needy as to kidnap my family to get me.

I remember my Brother, slipping in and out of consciousness. It breaks my heart recalling the image. "I tried calling you," he said.

I glance at my phone sitting atop of the table beside my bed; with telekinesis, I bring it to my hand.

38 missed calls. 69 unread messages.

He did.

He did try calling me; I never picked up. My heart fills with regret. If I had answered just once – safety be damned – I probably could've prevented their capture.

I tap the icon to view the messages.

21 messages from Dad.
36 messages from Mom.
12 messages from Darian.

I scroll through my Father's messages;

Where are you
Come home
We need to talk
Emily
Don't ignore me
Tell me where you are
Are you safe?
Call me asap
Please

I stop scrolling; select the thread with Mom;

Honey
R u there??
Please answer
Where r u
We r worried

There's a large time gap. All the messages are sequential except for a three-day break in the middle. Then her texts continue:

Emi please
Somethings wrong
R u ok???
Call me
Text me
Please come home

I stop scrolling. My face is in tears.

They were worried about me. They probably went to find me and that's when the mogs found them. It's all my fault.

There's a scratching at the door. I pay it no mind, too caught up in the messages.

With an audible sob, I select the thread into my Brother's text messages;

Emily
Ware r u
Dadys wured
Momys criing
I mis u
Pwese com hom

My heart jumps a beat when I read his last message.

Help

There is a knock at the door in addition to the scratching.

"Hey Emily? Are you alright in there?" John's voice sounds through the door. "Can I come in?"

I sniffle, try to settle my tears, but otherwise do not answer.

The door slides open slowly and John peers his head in my room. Pixie comes running into the room, jumping up onto the bed in her rabbit form. I look up at her then to John. We lock eyes.

Upon seeing me sitting on the bed in tears, John enters the room; sits down beside me. Neither of us says anything for the first few minutes.

I can't stop thinking about the messages. Not just my Brother's last but all of them.

I wish it wasn't real. I wish none of it was real. I wish I never left.

But I know I'm wrong; it is real.

Setrákus Ra has my family. They are not safe. I need to get them back.

"What do I do John? The mogs have my family. They're using them as leverage to get me," I say in a shaky voice.

"If that's true, we'll get them out," he says firmly.

"It is true!" I practically shout. Then gesture to my phone.  "Look at the messages! They tried to contact me, and I never responded. It's my fault the mogs have them at all."

John puts his arm around me; tries to ease my tension and worry and hurt.

"Do you want to come out and talk to us? We'll come up with a plan to get your family out," he offers.

I take a moment to think.

As I do, I notice the still open phone show the three bouncing ellipsis at the bottom of the screen, as if someone is typing under my Brother's chat thread.

Is it my Brother? Or is it them?

"John, look," I say softly, staring at the phone.

My iPhone buzzes with the new message once the sender is finished typing.

We've had them for a while you see. We've waited for you. You ignored the warning. You chose to defy. Now you have only two options:
1)    Give yourself up.
2)    Watch them die.

Another text comes through.

Which will it be?