Chapter 96: A Friend, A Home

From being burned alive.
To being drowned in scolding hot water; to ice cold.
From a variety of poisons, that paralyze, kill, and maim.
To the testing of electrocution and execution.
Tricks and traps.
Daggers and swords and bombs.
Cannons and blasters.
Piken and Kraul.

All have failed.

The Mogadorians tried everything to kill Agatha over the years, even more than what they've tried on Six. I suppose not being connected to a Loric Charm will disregard any limitations on performing the most dangerous of executions. Unlike Six, the Mogadorians never suffered any casualties for their failed attempts to kill Agatha. If they had, I don't think they would've done so in the first place.

All of us are left in shock when Agatha retells her years of captivity so casually. I, myself, perhaps the most of all; for having asked such a horrible question to begin with.

Nobody says much of anything afterwards aside from giving their condolences to the suddenly shy Loric girl. The rest of the trip back to Ashwood Estates made in silence.

By the time Lexa lands the ship, it is nearly dusk, the sunlight just beginning to settle down through the trees and in between the houses.

Everyone is waiting for us outside the Loric vessel.

When the ramp extends and the door opens, I hear chatter.

Adam and Six depart first, likely eager to exit a ship full of awkward silences. Having watching them descend the exit ramp and hearing them be greeted by excitement and commotion, Agatha seems hesitant.

"Will you be alright?" I ask her gently.

"It sounds like there are a lot of them out there," she says. "Are you sure that they-"

"They're friendly. All of them," I reassure her, sensing her unease. "Don't worry. All they are is excited. I'm sure they can't wait to meet you."

"I've never been around so many at once before," she says. "The last group I've been in tried to kill me. Are you sure they won't do the same?"

My heart hurts to see her skepticism and fear. She has been locked up for all her life. She knows no one but the Mogadorians and remnants of Lorien's destruction. She knows nothing but their brutality.

I need to show her the light. I need to show her that despite what the Mogadorians are capable of, there is still some hope for all of our peoples.

"Yes," I tell her firmly. "I promise you that they won't do the same."

Then I think of Rex, our newest mog ally, and how she nearly killed Adam as soon as she laid eyes on him. Even with his legacy, Agatha's speed and agility is impressive for someone that has spent years in a cell. If Rex tries anything, I trust that Agatha can handle herself. She is invincible after all. But if he doesn't?

I'll have no choice but to stop her.

I find that Agatha is standing still, biting her bottom lip in nervousness. And so, to convince her further, I add, "If any of them do, I'll stop them; you have my word."

She swallows a fit of unease and I extend my hand.

"Come on, we'll walk down together," I offer.

And so that is what we do. With John at my left side and the new Loric girl at my right, we exit the ship.

As soon as we are out in plain view, everyone smiles and waves at the new arrival. Those such as Walker and her team of FBI agents stand in the back, not wanting to intrude any boundaries.

At the top of the exit ramp, I can see Adam making his way to the back where Rex stands; Six approaching the far left to hug Sam, Marina and Eight near.