Chapter 32: Magical Levitation

I shut my eyes before the blade penetrates Henri's chest, unaware of the dead silence that passes in doing so. I can hear my heart beat inside my own head; my breath held.

"Unbelievable," says the Mogadorian Leader's voice, breaking the silence.

When I open my eyes, I see the diamond dagger hover a mere inch away from Henri's chest. Suspended in the air by an unseen force. Henri is untouched; unharmed.

As soon as I see the blade's magical levitation, it falls to the floor with a clang.

Henri and Setrákus Ra both stare at me, both of them shocked.

"I knew it," Henri then says, smiling widely.

"D-did I do that?" I stumble uncertainly.

The question is directed at Henri, but Setrákus Ra responds first, "Indeed."

Telekinesis. A Legacy of the Garde. Originated in the Loric themselves. A power impossible to develop in humans. That allows them to do what I just unknowingly did.

I don't understand.

Did I really just use telekinesis to stop that blade to save Henri? How is that possible? We didn't go to the Sanctuary yet. The Loric Entity hasn't spread throughout the Earth. How did I develop an otherworldly power? Did Setrákus Ra do it? Is he trying to trick us? No. Why would he?

Setrákus Ra approaches. His ugly face and purple scar are all I can see. He stares at me and I cannot look away.

"Obviously there is more to you than I initially thought. I would like to investigate further," he says.

With a gulp, I stammer, "I- I don't even know what I did."

He raises a hand; leads it to my face. I cringe involuntarily when it makes contact with my cheek. His hand is cold to the touch as it caresses the side of my face.

"We will find out together," he responds. "Soon."

"Leave her alone!" Henri yells from somewhere behind him.

Setrákus Ra steps out of the way so I can see Henri's concern and fear. At my side, he extends an open palm out in front of my chest. I look down to find a small dagger resting still on his palm, the sharp tip pointed at Henri.

"Try that again, would you?" he says.

I don't respond.

I stare at Henri, clearly afraid. Then glance down at the blade.

Perhaps noticing my fear and reluctance, Henri simply urges, "Emily. Don't."

He expects me to use telekinesis. I don't want to. I'm not even sure I can. I don't want to give him what he wants. I know it will only lead to his selfishness.

"I- I can't," I finally say, my voice shaky.

Setrákus Ra does not waver.

"You can't or you won't?" he asks, only a hint of anger shining through his tone.

I hesitate to say any more, though still do, "I can't."

At that moment, my fear heightens.

His outstretched hand descends back to his side in an instant and in the next, he strikes me hard across the face. I scream a short feeble scream, of which drowns out Henri's cry.

"Stupid girl!" Setrákus Ra enrages. "You will do as I say or both of you will die!"

The tears return. My face stings. My arms ache. My body trembles. My heart pounds. My breathing quickened. In that moment, it all flows out of me. I do not care if Setrákus Ra sees me cry.