Chapter 38: Uncharted Love

For the first minute upon awakening, I can't breathe. My forehead is drenched in sweat as if I had just finished an intense workout at the gym.

What is this? Another nightmare? Or real life?

If it weren't for the Chimæra at my feet, I would be too afraid to move.

I crawl to the foot of the bed to hold Pixie in my arms. I'm more than grateful she is here to offer some sense of comfort.

"I thought it was over. I thought I was safe," I say out loud to the furry bunny, clearly unsettled. "Why? Why does he keep tormenting me like this?"

I stare at Pixie, holding her tight to my chest, almost expecting her to answer. Of course, she does not.

Thinking about what Setrákus Ra said is only encouraging tears. So slowly, I let go of the Chimæra and set her back on the bed's surface.

Fearfully, I drag myself out from under the covers.

Just as the nightmare, I collapse when I stand and need to use the wall for support. I am exhausted and weak.

I push open the bathroom door to look into the mirror.

Unlike what I saw in the nightmare, there is no blood on my face. There are no scars, cuts, scrapes, or gashes on me anywhere. The stab wound in my side is also healed. All that is visible are the green scars around my wrists.

Slowly, I approach the closed door that which leads out into the hallway.

"Shall we find the Garde?" I ask Pixie, who still sits upright on the bed. Excited, she hops down to the floor, runs a circle around me, and changes shape.

Growing larger and stronger, she transforms into a lion; the first form I saw her change into.

It brings a smile to my face despite everything I have just seen and I open the door.

Pixie walks along beside me, offering me the chance to lean some of my weight on her, and I do.

Together, Pixie and I walk to the living room, my knees shaky and terrified of what I might find.

It is quiet in the hall, apart from the nightmare when I heard nothing but yelling. Aside from my shuffling and Pixie's lion-like claws on the hardwood floor, there are no other voices to be heard.

When we reach the living room, I stop to lean against the wall to catch my breath; even this is a struggle for me.

John is sitting on the couch, full of worry. I must admit, his face resembles similar features of that of Pittacus Lore. The resemblance is unbelievable.

Nine is pacing back and forth in the center of the room, his arms crossed behind him and staring down at the floor. He is silent; does not shout.

Marina and Eight are in the kitchen. Six is sitting in an armchair with Sam sitting on the armrest beside her. Ella sits beside John, her hand gently placed on his in an attempt to soothe him. Henri is seated on John's other side, BK on his lap.

Everyone looks worried, angry, and scared. No one notices me or Pixie enter, not even when Pixie shapeshifts back into a rabbit.

Carefully, I speak, fearful I'll trigger the same thing that happened in the nightmare, "John?"

Everyone perks up at the sound of my voice and rushes to my side. BK is the first to reach me, jumping up on my leg; I nearly lose my balance.

In the time it takes to give BK a quick pat on the head, John has wrapped his arms around me in a tight hug. All of a sudden, their worry vanishes.