Chapter 12: A Chance

It's near noon by the time I arrive at the school; 12:35 pm to be exact; and it's Thursday. The day that should be the day of the attack. I'm early. The school is still standing. Relief spreads through me. I have a chance. A chance to save Henri's life.

There are students outside the main entrance chatting loudly. Some eating their lunch peacefully; some fooling around like regular immature teenagers.

I don't see any Mogadorians. Though I know based on Marina's story; just because I don't see them doesn't mean they aren't there at all. They could be lurking around now.

I casually walk to an oak tree and sit down, my back leaning against the thick trunk. Pixie sits with me. She sniffs the air before lying down while I gaze about for John Smith or Mogadorians.

I still have time.

If I can find John Smith before the school hours are over, I might be able to warn them about tonight.

I sit for a couple hours until a brown and white beagle rushes to my side. Pixie, startled, stands and runs behind me while I remain seated on the grass.

The beagle barks. The students of Paradise High turn and stare as they leave school.

I take Pixie and keep her in my arms while trying to quiet the dog to not draw too much attention.

When the beagle settles down, it approaches the rabbit in my arms to sniff her calmly. Cautiously, I let it, and the thought comes to me.

"Bernie Kosar?" I ask, curious to know if this is the beagle that I've read about.

The dog perks up, its interest shifting from Pixie to me. I smile, knowing that I guessed the name correctly.

"You're Bernie Kosar?!" I ask with excitement. "Do you know John Smith? Can you take me to him?"

At the mention of John, BK seems to understand. He barks once and spins in a circle.

Seeming to want my following, I stand and BK runs to a red pickup truck. There's a man with greying hair in the driver seat, idling the vehicle in wait.

Henri.

I approach behind BK until the man sees me.

He looks to be puzzled but I quickly explain.

"Is this your beagle?" I ask subtly.

"Yes," the man answers. "Thanks for bringing him back. What's your name?"

"I'm Emily," I reply. "His name's Bernie Kosar right? Are you Henri?" I ask after a pause.

The man gives me a strange look; one that holds partial confusion and partial fear.

"Yes," he says uneasily. "You know who I am?"

I nod.

"Are you waiting for John?" I ask innocently so as to express that I mean no harm.

Henri does not acknowledge my last question and instead asks one of his own, "How do you know who we are?"

There is no doubt anymore. The tone in his voice has changed completely. He is aware that I know more about him. He is aware that I know of John. He is frustrated, perhaps in the carelessness of John's actions that led me here. However, most noticeable, he is afraid. He is afraid they are in danger; that I will hurt them.

I don't know how I know this; I just do.

"I'm not here to hurt you," I assure. "I came to help."

"Help?" he questions.

I see him eye the glove compartment of the truck. I suspect he has a weapon stashed in there. I don't want to provoke him.

I make a show of looking around me nervously, in search for any Mogadorians. Once realizing there are none, I continue, "The Mogadorians are here. They know John is here. They plan to attack tonight. I came to warn you before then. To ensure you all leave Paradise safely."

Henri stares at me, at a loss for words at what I have just said. For a long moment, he doesn't say anything. He eyes Bernie Kosar who sits in the passenger seat in sheer joy, his tail swinging wildly from side to side.

"Where's John?" I ask seriously.

After seeing BK lick my cheek, Henri pulls him down, his eyes never leaving my gaze.

"Inside," he answers.

"I will try to find him," I say.

"Take BK with you," he insists.

But I refuse; "No. I want him to stay with you. Just in case."

He says nothing more as I already begin heading inside the school.

"Come on Pixie," I say to the Chimæra hopping by my side. "Let's go find John."