Chapter 51: The Rumble

An entire week has passed. We've been on the road since. Day after day, on a constant road trip. Searching for abandoned houses to stay in temporarily or populated enough areas to go unnoticed for a while. Training with the Loric whenever we aren't all cooped up in the one oversized van. In a way, if you put all fear and paranoia aside, it's sort of great.

Crayton informed us of the Loric Sanctuary in Calakmul. I don't remember where he's heard of it, but I'm inclined to believe him. It's clear the others do too.

We found an abandoned house for the night in West Texas and Crayton is explaining the details of it – the details he is aware of at least.

"I have heard that there is some sort of Loric Entity inside, prepared by our Elders long ago. Though there is something special about it; something that the Mogadorians don't know," Crayton explains.

"He's right," I say, and add, "The Loric Entity stationed there, it can spread through the Earth and shift the balance of power in this war. It can create new Loralite stones around the globe and gift humans with legacies. We can awaken it with the Phoenix Stones in your Chests."

"Phoenix Stones?" Marina wonders.

"They are items in your Inheritances given to you by the Elders," Henri clarifies. "Each of you possess at least one. It was suspected they'd be used to bring Lorien out of hibernation; to jumpstart the ecosystem, in much simpler terms."

Eight opens up his Chest to peer inside. "What do these Phoenix things look like?" he asks.

"It depends," Adelina answers. "They don't necessarily look like stones, but could come in the form of other shapes, densities, or alterations."

John and Henri open his Chest too and Henri pulls out a bundle of dark leaves appearing to be wrapped in twine.

"This is one of them," says Henri, showing it to the group. "It restores the wind from Lorien."

While seeing such, Nine does the same, pulling out a black bag and opening it to show everyone that it contains a load of soil. "Is this the same thing?" he asks.

Henri nods; clarifies, "For Lorien's vegetation."

Carefully, Nine is sure to pour the soil in his hand back into the bag before returning it to his Chest along with John.

As the two of them shut their Chests closed, a rumble rattles the ground. Long and fierce. Quaking and trembling. It's enough to disrupt our footing.

"What's going on?" Marina asks.

As if in answer, there is then a knock on the door. We all look to one another with concern and partial fear. I know we are all thinking of who could be behind it.

Just as Six fades to invisibility, Eight disappears and reappears seconds later. "There aren't any mogs," he reports. "Just two people on the front porch. They seem normal."

John raises an eyebrow; looks to Henri with uncertainty.

"Everyone, go upstairs and hide," Henri instructs. "Adelina and I will handle it."

Adelina nods. The rest follow suit and do as Henri says.

Henri swings open the door and I stop halfway up the stairs, wanting to ensure Henri and Adelina aren't in danger. I sense John watch me and soon he eases his hand into my own.

"Who are you? How'd you find us?" Henri says, from around the corner. Judging by his tone, it's clear it is no one familiar.

"My name is Malcolm," says a man's voice. "Malcolm Goode. Is Sam with you?"