Chapter 136: Going Home

Darkness slowly fades into light.

From the midst of an infinite array of blackness, there lies a painting of a sunset ahead.

It is a beautiful sunset.

One on the beach of Point Reyes, California.

The colors are lovely and they remind me of my passion for art. All those lost days in my old life where I did nothing but paint on canvases and write stories and read books.

There are blues and purples and pinks and oranges. Reds and yellows and turquoise of the sea.

Yet that isn't even the best part.

No. Not even close.

The best part? Is it feels like I am there.

A live photograph.

The beach waves crash repeatedly into the shore. Forward and back. Forward and back.

The seagulls fly in and out of frame. In and out.

I can hear it just as well as I can see it.

The wind blowing in a delicate breeze.

John is in it too, his Loric dagger sheathed to his waist.

I stare at it and I stare at him.

He turns to me and smiles; looks into my eyes like he always does and that is how I know that this isn't the John from my last nightmare.

There is no evil demon inside of him.

There is no blood on his hands nor is there blood on his dagger.

He will not hurt me. He will not kill.

He is John.

The John I love.

He extends a hand beyond the limits of the painting, waiting for me to take it.

I do.

I grasp his hand in mine and he pulls me out of the darkest darkness and into the painting light.

I walk along the shore with him, hand in hand.

We lean against one another. Shoulder to shoulder.

My gaze rests primarily on the sunset over the horizon. It draws me in.

John notices and looks out as well.

Then lets go of my hand to enter the water.

"John? What are you doing?" I hear myself ask in a gentle tone.

He does not reply right away; only steps into the water. Though when he does, something strange happens. Rather than sinking into the mud at the bottom, he floats.