Chapter 109: Fiery Inferno

4 hours left; 240 minutes to end this war before Setrákus Ra does.

And only now have we arrived in New York City.

I try not to look at the massive warship hovering above Manhattan, but that proves to be difficult considering its size. It is nowhere near the size of the Anubis, that's for sure, but it is still just as terrifying.

So far, the ride has been silent. Neither me, Walker, our pilot, nor the other two FBI agents very keen on striking up conversation.

Fine with me. I'd rather keep my mind in the present.

I don't want to think about what he's done to me in the past. I don't want to think about what will happen once I face him again. And I certainly don't want to think about what will happen if I fail today. That's not what matters at this point.

What matters, is that I hit him with everything I've got. And well, it better be enough.

If I have to drain his energy to defeat him, so be it. I'm not afraid. Though I wish it could be at a last resort, I am not afraid to do whatever it takes.

Our pilot speaks, his voice sounding in my ear, "Liberty statue in visual. Touchdown in fifteen."

"Thank you, Carson," Walker responds neutrally into her headset. Then looks to me, "Emily, are you ready?"

"As ready as I ever am to face that monster again," is all I find myself saying.

Walker and I stand. I turn; put my wrists behind my back. And she restrains them with a pair of handcuffs.

"I won't be locking them, so they'll feel a bit loose," she says then. "Don't want you to be unable to stop him. After all, you kids are our last hope."

I turn again to look her in her faded green eyes, my wrists loosely secured behind me; any sort of pull and they'll give, so I need to put a conscious effort in maintaining the ruse.

Her eyes seem dead; nearly lost of all hope. I can tell by the way she looks at me that she is having trouble believing that this will work or that we will win.

I don't blame her. I'm having a hard time believing that too. I wish I could offer her some sort of release; some sense of ease, but I find myself struggling to get the right words. In a situation like this, I can only be practical.

"As you said Walker, I am just one person," I say. "If I can't-"

"From what I've heard Emily, you destroyed a warship bigger than that," she interrupts, pointing out the helicopter window at the beastly UFO. "I don't know if I believe that; just know that your friends believe that. They have no problems with believing it. They have faith in you Emily. And – whether you can imagine it or not – we do too. You have to trust that you can do this, because we're all screwed if you don't."

I'm not in the mood in being lectured right now, even if she is complimenting me; and I make sure my expression shows it. But other than that, I'm not going to argue; there's no time for that. I just need to know one thing.

"Enough with the lectures and pep talks Walker," I say, trying to refrain from rolling my eyes. "It's not the time for that and it's clear that there are more important things on your mind. As there should be. But I just need to know one thing."

Walker says nothing; only waits while the other agents watch us with keen eyes.

"If all fails; if I'm not able to kill him and he," I swallow hard. "kills me, will you..." I look to the FBI agent seated in the chair near me, holding a bolt action in his lap.