Chapter 68: Training - part 1

I snap awake. My heart aches; it's full of dread.

I still hear the screams. Still see the blood; the destruction. I shut my eyes, but it only makes it worse. I bring my knees to my chest, hug them, and I cry. I try to forget. Forget everything I saw.

But it's impossible.

Soon, Setrákus Ra enters my room, holding the Eye of Thaloc. I don't look at him, but still, I know.

"I hope you slept well. Are you ready?" he asks.

I stay silent. Rock slightly back and forth in the hopes to soothe my core. An odd silence spreads through my room that I am not aware of. I feel his eyes on me.

Without meeting his eyes, I respond with dread in my voice, "Just leave me alone."

The rocking intensifies. Faster. Tighter. Shakier.

I repeat it, "Leave me alone. Leave me alone. Leave me alone."

He takes a seat on the side of the bed, puts a hand on my shoulder. I flinch; keep my head buried in my knees. Hide my tears and keep the sobs inaudible.

"Everything I've ever shown you was the truth," he says. "All I've ever said was the truth. You have nothing to fear. If you follow me, I promise; I will take care of you."

I hear the screams. I see the blood. I feel the anger.

I am not in the nightmare anymore. I can fight back.

"GO TO HELL!" I yell.

He pulls his hand away, more in surprise than fear.

I feel the device around my throat activate to a mild pulse. Not enough to hurt me too badly but enough to bring me back.

Finally, I look up at him. My cheeks are wet.

"Why?" I ask softly. "Why are you doing this? It isn't right."

"There is more than one way of defining what is wrong and what is right child," he says.

"Please," I plead through the shock. "Please stop this. Let everyone live in peace."

Despite my plea, he smiles, stands and faces the desk and eyes his Great Book with his arms crossed behind his back.

"You have no idea how similar the two of you are," he says.

Who is he talking about? I don't know. I take a deep shuddering breath. "Who?" I ask. Though he does not answer.

Before I know it, the pulse in the metallic device disappears.

"Come," he instructs. "We have much to do. Ella is waiting."

I don't want to go with him. Not after everything I've seen. Although I still want to see Ella. I want more than anything to know that she's okay. I need a friendly face to tell me that everything will be okay.

Slowly, I get out of bed and stand. He leaves the room and I follow behind.

Walking along brightly lit corridors. Empty of other Mogadorians and I'm more than grateful for that. Following closely behind my Enemy, only because I am that desperate to see Ella; that desperate for a sign that everything is okay.

I can still hear the screams of my people. Of children, mothers, and dads. I can still hear the lively whir of the cannon on the Anubis before it opened fire. Whenever I blink my eyes, I can still see the blood and destruction and death.

My heart is heavy, yet no tears come. Strangely, I don't feel anything. All I feel is empty inside. And yet, here I am. Doing as the Enemy says. Following. Obeying. Although I know I don't really have a choice, it keeps my stomach twisted in a knot that cannot be untied.