Part Four: Because of You

The Keynote speech was as predicted- boring.

The committee and other attendees were engaged, but you could tell they were all there for the vacation stay afterwards.

I never messaged Max back. I nearly deleted the app all together, but I couldn't. For some reason, I want to keep talking to him, but I don't want him to know who I am. The whole dynamic would change if it did. Besides, it's better he doesn't know me.

He said he needed me. He said I was amazing and smart and so much more. He could just be trying to communicate appropriately without looking like an asshole who talks shit on his employees- or he could just honestly feel that way. I highly does he does though.

Ping!

Lauren.

What does she want?

Lauren:

Call me when you're free.

Calling her, I wait two seconds before she answers.

"Helen, I need to talk to you about something important." She says, not too frantic, but just rushed enough to make her sound desperate.

"Alright."

"From a doctor treating a patient- point of you- I ran tests and came to the conclusion that this patient has cancer. However, I need you to diagnose what type." Figures- she can't ask Stauton of Ellis to do it.

"Send me imaging and blood tests and anything else you have."

"Helen- so you know...this...patient....is a tough one." She hesitates slightly and I can here her tapping her foot on her office floor.

"Why? Are they a child?"

"No, they're 34..."

"What makes them difficult?" I interrupt her and stare out my room window at the mountains out in the distance.

"It's...Huh....it's Max." My face pales and I feel my chest and stomach twist and become heavy. "He came in asking for me to check out his throat and there's a mass growing on the right side of his larynx. He said that every so often he feels as if he has something caught in his throat and it restricts his breathing sometimes."

I can't say anything and without even realizing it until I catch my reflection in the window- a tear slides down my left cheek.

"Helen?"

"Yes, I'm here. Alright- I'll be home this evening."

"But your 2 week vacation in Vail...."

"Is over. I'll see you later." I hang up and open a Tinder. Should I tell him who I am?

No.

Gathering my things, I head downstairs and to the check out desk. I need to just go home and narrow down which kind of cancer Max has and start working on a plan of treatment.

"Ah, Dr. Helen- what can I help you with?" The Bellhop asks and I smile kindly.

"I'm checking out."

"But...you were booked until the 25th."

"I know. Something's come up and I won't be able to stay." Nodding he clicks away on his computer and then takes my room key. No refunds for 13 days of room fees. It's the price I pay for making good decisions. Leaving the hotel, I hail a cab for a ride to the air port. I feel sick to my stomach and the feeling remains heavy the whole flight home.

Max is a good guy, who can't catch a break. Wife kicking him out. Having to run a shit hospital. Me....and now cancer. He needs all the luck in the world and a support system that is right there 24/7.