Part Forty-Nine: "I Love My Doctor"

Just as I open Marlene's door, I feel so weak and out of breath. Two blocks in the snow is complete and utter Hell to run. My body trembles slightly and I hand Max the bag and tube for him to insert.

"You okay?" He asks, he hand on my arm. His eyes search mine and my heart just pangs in my chest.

"Yeah...yeah I'm fine." He doesn't move for a few moments and then when he does- it's awkward and forced. Going over to the tub, I take off my jacket and lean against the side of it. It's much like mine at home and I love it's familiarity. Her whole apartment is filled with that supernatural mumbo-jumbo. Tarot cards, which are on her bed beside her, crystal balls, crystals, mystic tapestries hung on the wall. I've never seen so much clutter in one space that is at the same time cohesive. "The winds are picking up. I don't think it'll stop until morning."

"The night's only gonna get worse."

"Well I won't worry much. I'll be dead soon."

"I thought we talked about that." Max groans and my phone goes off with a text.

"Candelario is gonna need ya back at the Dam soon."

"We're gonna need to monitor though. Make sure she's stable until we can get a rig out here."

"No you don't. I'm gonna be dead."

"Marlene, I thought we talked about this." Max playfully growls- he's becoming frustrated with mortality as a topic and I can tel it's bothering him. I look from her and find Max's eyes on me- something behind them telling me there's something he wants me to know. "Sharpe...can I um...can I talk to you?"

Getting up, I follow him over towards the front door.

"We can't spend all night here watching her." I say and Max nods. He seems conflicted. "And Candelario really needs us back..."

"Hang on..." He cuts me off and I just watch as he stand a foot away from me and looms down at me. "I know I haven't always been....and I...well, um, you're always so...and...and..."

He's stuttering and stammering and the conflicted happy and nervous look on his face makes my heart go crazy looking at him.

"Uh...um...Nevermind...I just Uh... Chemo brain..." I states and plays it off like it was nothing.

"No that's okay. It's fine."

"I just forget...it doesn't matter. How can we monitor Marlene from here at the Dam?" He asks and it hits me.

"Telemetry. Set it up and monitor her from the Dam. We can get the equipment from the ED." His eyes sparkle and his smile widens. Pacing his hands just below my shoulders on my biceps, he gently squeezes me.

"Telemetry. Helen, you're the best." I smile at him and he slowly pulls away. "I think... I think that's what I was trying to say."

He passes me and starts telling Marlene the plan. Grabbing my jacket, scarf and hat, I prepare to go when he turns and starts telling me no.

"No...no...no... Sharpe- you're wiped out from the last trip." Jacket in hand, he gets in front on me and I just shake my head. Unbelievable, he's not going to listen to me again. "I'm going, you're staying here. But don't worry because I'll be safe and go slow..."

I smile slightly and shake my head looking up at him. As his hand rests just above my elbow.

"Because I love...my doctor." As the word leaves his mouth, my face slowly drops and I just search his eyes. He smiles and is still for a few seconds before putting on his coat and leaves me there.

He said he loves his doctor.

Loves.

The way he said it.