Part Nine: Under Water

My nostrils fill with something delicious.

My body aches deeply.

I feel both full and empty all at the same time.

As I open my eyes, I find Max just coming in with a bed tray full of delicious looking breakfast, coffee, and a single Black Eyed Susan in a vase. I can't help but smile as I slowly sit up against my bed frame. He is only in his jeans and seems rather comfortable.

"Good morning, Dr. Sharpe." He says happily and places the tray down over my lap and kisses my lips.

"Good morning...what's all this?"

"Breakfast in bed." He says and sits on the edge of the bed.

"I see that...why?" I can't help but raise an eyebrow and be suspicious.

"Why not? When's the last time you were treated to breakfast in bed?"

"Never...." A sad thought.

"Well, then even more reason to have one." Placing a kiss on my forehead, he goes around to the other side of the bed and climbs in beside me. My heart hurts from how adorable he is. "I hope you don't mind I sorta used your kitchen...and food."

"That's perfectly fine. Thank you- everything smells delicious." I cut into his subside up eggs and they are absolutely perfect. He's perfect. Is there anything he can't do?

Slow down maybe?

Then again, he is ADHD driven.

"You're kitchen is huge by the way. Nice huge island, stainless steel double door fridge, electric flat top stove and duel sinks."

"Don't forger my trash compactor and my espresso machine..." I roll my eyes and I feel I just made him feel awkward.

"Yeah...I don't think I used that right."

"It can't be that bad." I set my fork down and take a sip of his coffee he made.

Oh dear God.

It tastes like the ground up remains of a dead raccoon.

"It's bad isn't it? Yeah...I thought maybe I pressed the wrong button." He says and I take tissue from the bedside table and wipe my mouth. Espresso bean residue and I know exactly what happened.

"Did you scoop the powder from the right drawer on the machine?"

"Yeah why?"

"Those were old grounds...."

"Oh....I'm so sorry." I wave him off and then smile at him.

"I've made that mistake before. I should really label them properly. The left drawer is where the powder is that you filter into the top tube. Haha, no big deal. I just....hadn't gotten around to fully cleaning the right drawer out." I take a sip of water from the glass and he gives me those big blue eyes. "What?"

"Nothing, you're just so beautiful." My heart skips and I feel my stomach twist.

"Max..." He turns to face me and pushes my extensions over my shoulders.

"Helen, you are perfect." Leaning forward, he kisses my lips and then his phone goes off. "I'm sorry, will you excuse me for a moment."

"Sure..." He kisses me again before grabbing his phone and goes out to the hallway. Looking at the breakfast before me, I can't help but smile at how thoughtful he is. Eggs, bacon, toast and an attempt at espresso. He's gone for a few minutes and I finish breakfast. Getting up, I head to the bathroom and use the Lou. I feel so sore and yet, I love every ache. After I flush and wash my hands, I head back to my room and Max is pulling on his shirt and socks. He looks up at me and seem slightly concerned. "Everything okay?"