Part Sixty-Seven: Oh Holy Night

Walking back into the den, his parents are quietly talking and from the sounds of it, it's about Georgia. I push down any remaining irritation I have, and sit back down on the loveseat. Max lingers near the fireplace- keeping his distance from me.

"Terribly sorry about our absence." I say and his parents just smile kindly at me.

"That's perfectly fine. You don't need to apologize, Helen." His mother politely says and Eric nods, while swirling his scotch in his glass. "We were just discussing earlier events."

"Max mentioned that you studied at Cambridge." Eric adds quickly and Olivia turns her head slightly to the right as if this was not the conversation she wanted to continue with.

"Oh, yes. I did my first four years there. I did my specialty residency at Kings College in London- before finishing up here at Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center." I state and both seem impressed- but it's rather straightforward.  To anyone back home it would sound less impressive than it does here.

"Wow, you are very ambitious and tenacious- aren't you?" Olivia states while sipping more of her wine. I cross my left leg over my right and then I cross them- remembering what Iggy day about posture symbols.

"Helen is very aware of what she wants and more often than not goes above and beyond to achieve it. She's nothing short of amazing." Max states casually as he stares off at the book shelf.

"I sort of figured that. Based on all your accomplishments and titles- you are very fortunate to be so driven. I wish I had half the focus and drive that you do." His mother beams kindly, but I feel that slight jab in my side as if this is less so a compliment and more of a criticism.

"It's a lot harder work on my end than Max puts off. I don't always meet my goals or am able to follow through with every plan I have." I state clearly and Bentley and Sophie come in and lay on the floor near my feet, while Sophie goes over to Max, who picks her up and kisses the top of her red furred head.

"He tells us you have quite a few plans your working on at the moment." Here we go.

"Mom...." Max tries to skirt her away from this conversation, but I can tell she's determined to have it.

"What? I was just going to ask about her plans for down the road. The steps she's taking to get there."

"Mom."

"Olivia..." Eric puts his hand on her knee.

"It's alright. I'm aware Max spoke to you about my plans for conception." The room quiets and Olivia gestures from the men to me as if saying 'see, there you go, the conversation is fine'.

"I think it's wonderful that you are going to try for a little one. Parenthood is a wonderful thing that everyone should experience in one form or another. Whether through their own body or adoption, surrogacy. There's not a better feeling in the world than looking down in your arms at the precious gift God granted you. I remember when Eric and I found out we were having the twins. Ooohhh, we were so excited and yet nervous. One baby for young twenty somethings is scary enough- but add a second oof: we were not prepared." She reminisces about Max and Luna and her smile flicks between smiling and frowning a bit. "I remember, Luna came first and was just a tiny little thing and then came Max and boy was he a big boy. Luna, I believe was 17.5 inches long and weighed 3.89 lbs. while Max was 19 inches exactly and weight 5.43 lbs. had the biggest blue eyes taking in the world around him. He was our little vocalist and Luna was just quiet and sleepy."

I notice Max weakly smiling as if him speaks about his sister.

"Those two were just two peas in a pod. I'd tell you. If I wasn't chasing one down, I was grabbing the other one from climbing over the baby gates at 1 1/2 years olds. Max was always moving as fast as he could. I remember one time, I picked up Luna to put her in the bath when they were about two and Max was in the bathroom with us and I turned around for one second to check on Luna and I hear Eric yelling bloody murder because there went Max, running out the backdoor to go God knows where. Haha, he was quite the stinker."