Part Ninety-Nine: In The Graveyard

I couldn't stop thinking about Max and this baby lady last night. I never thought Max would move on so quickly from me- despite his outward appearance of him not wanting too- I know inside, he wanted it.

I don't blame him.

Why should he have to wait around for me to play catch up? He shouldn't have too. I wouldn't if I was him.

Running around the Dam this morning, I need to find Max like yesterday. My request for a Brachytherapy device went through to Max's desk after Castro vetoed it. I don't know how it made it up to Max, but it did and now I'm going to have more issues than just her trial. I spot him walking towards the ramp in the Atrium.

"Max!" I call and he turns around. He seems like he's on a mission and barely has time to slow down. Then again, when does Max every slow down?

"Did you know that New Amsterdam has dumped over 30 patients into the Municipal Hospice care system in the last six month?"

"Wow...that's a lot." I can see where this is going.

"30 in six months! It's appalling!" He booms slightly as we walk.

"I agree, but can you switch gears for a moment?"

"Yeah, how can I help?"

"I need you to no approve my brachytherapy device." As I say it he looks at me confused.

"How can I not help?"

"Exactly. I don't know how it happened but the paperwork for it went through to your desk after Castro didn't approve it."

"Why would I do that? I remember having an extensive conversation about me having you back..." I cut him off and we stop in front of the turnstile door.

"You can have my back, but this just looks like O went over her head."

"Is this device going to help you patient?"

"Yes."

"Is it in budget?"

"Yes, but...

"Will it better the lives for future patients?" I look at him and he starts into the turnstile, but O stop it with my hand.

"Yes, but to keep the peace between Castro and myself, I can't have you...favoring me." I say. His face goes very serious and I think maybe I said the wrong thing. Maybe I overstepped and assumed his position.

"Helen, I do. Favor you." He says and looks down at me, his mouth trying so hard not to smile or say anything else. Thinking back to last night, when I told him to move on, I force my want to just kiss him back down inside me.

"Alright...well keep that to yourself." I state and he smirks widely.

"Just tell Castro I'm favoring patients and that if she has a problem with it- she can talk to me." He goes again after I let go of the turnstile and I'm both flattered and flustered.

"Where are you going?" I yell- knowing full well he's going to the municipal hospice center. I stand there for a moment. My heart beating rapidly, my mouth becoming dry, and my breathing labored slightly.

Why does he still have that effect on me?

***4 Hours Later***

So not to my surprise, Max had brought all of the palliative patients back to the Dam- assigned us all one and obviously gave me to hardest of the bunch.

Zeke, a math professor who believe in numbers and wanted the secret to the universe.

Let's just say I gave him a good dose of shrooms to help him figure it out- courtesy of Casey. I watch Max standing outside a patient's room and my heart twinges and aches. He knows I'm here. He knows I'm always right here for him- yet he still feels so distant.