Part Eighty-Four: A Grave Mistake

We snuggled in bed for several minutes this morning. Kisses. Laughs. Cuddles.

Perfection.

Max ran out to the convenience store to pick up diapers and formula-as well as a bottle or two for my home. While he was gone, I cooked breakfast and danced around with Luna, who giggled and smiles happily as Disney songs played from the tv in the living room. Sophie and Bentley are chasing each other in the backyard as a nice morning breeze blows in through the opened back doors. Max arrives back just in time for pancakes and bacon- his face smiling wide at the sight of Luna and I.

"Looks like we're having fun." He says as he comes over- places on hand on the small of my back and kisses my tenderly on the lips.

"Mmm, yes- we are. Did you get the goods?" I ask and he bursts into laughter.

"Make it sound like I'm a drug dealer. Yes, I got the Luna essentials." Going to the counter, he empties the contents onto it and starts opening up the pack of diapers, while I remove the improvised one from Luna.

"Here we go. Look at what daddy got you. Hmm...new nappies."

"What?" I pick up a diaper and look at him.

"Nappy."

"Oh....I get it." Scoffing, I use the wipes to clean her up and place her in the new diaper. "I also found a new outfit for today."

He pulls out a cut two piece- a white onesie with a crown in glitter on it that has a ruffled bum. As well as a glittery pink tutu. It's absolutely adorable.

"That's so cute. Oh my gosh- is Daddy good at shopping or what?" Flapping her arms and kicking her legs, she smiles a gummy smile and coos.

As I change her, Max gets the bottle ready. His muscled back presses into his v-neck and it turns my stomach. I want him. After months of nothing- six to be exact- I am in need of some TLC...or rough. I'd be fine with either. Going over to him with Luna, I press into his side and kiss his right bicep.

"Hey." He looks down at me as he finishes it up. The look in my eyes must say it all because he swallows hard in his throat and stammers a bit. "I...Uh... um..."

He takes Luna from me and awkwardly goes to sit down on the couch. The dogs make their appearance and decide to check out the new 'thing' in the room. Bentley bounce a bit- trying to stand on his back feet to be able to see exactly what Max has. While Sophie gets right up in Luna's face, not caring for the child's personal space at all. Luna stops eating and looks at Sophie. Trying to grab her, Sophie jumps backwards and so does Bent. Apparently they didn't realize she can move. Bent jumps on the other side of the couch by her head and slowly comes forward- sniffing her hair lightly. Luna reaches behind her and grabs onto his fur by his mouth. Instead of getting mad or scared and running away or snapping: Bentley just sits there and let's her do it.

"Luna, let go of the puppy's face." Max says and detaches her hand. Trying to give her the bottle again is fruitless because she's more interested in the dogs now. Max sits her up a bit more and now Sophie is the one sniffing Luna. Grabbing the long dog's ear, Luna squeals happily and Bentley continues pressing his big nose into her tiny body. "No ears Luna."

Separating her hand from Sophie's ear, Max looks at me for assistance.

"Back up babies. Come lay down." I point to their bed and they lower there heads and look at me- seeing if I'm being serious or not. "Come on."

They pout on they're way over to the bed and when I hand them two bones they perk up a bit and begin munching away at it.

"Luna?" Max tries to get her to pay attention, but she's now invested in looking at the strange creatures she's never met before. "Luna June- come on. Let's eat."