Part Twenty-Six: Breathe

This morning I feel like hell.

I managed to cry myself to sleep on the landing of my stairs and now my whole body is aching and my face if puffy from crying.

Walking Max's cell sample across the atrium to Panthaki, I will myself to assume the confidence I usually have. Today it's hard though. My mind is on Max and Georgia. He messaged my phone around 6:30 this morning. It was simple and and sweet, but it doesn't break through my wall of self doubt and fear.

Max:

Good morning, Sweetheart. Wanted to let you know I'm leaving the city now. Be back ASAP. Thinking of you :)

I didn't respond. I didn't know how.

So now, as I approach Panthaki, he seems off his high horse for once.

"Dr. Sharpe. Good morning."

"Morning. Here you are." I say and he takes the cooler from me.

"Is there Miller Lite in here?"

"Yes....because I drink domestic." I say and roll my eyes. I turn to leave.

"Hey, I'm sorry about yesterday. Truly. It was totally not cool of me and I'm hoping we can start over. I really want this to work." Turning back to him, he seems apologetic enough. Looking him over, I wait for some smart remark from him, but it doesn't come.

"I accept your apology. I would very much like for this business relationship to work as well- seeing how you come highly recommended. Max needs results and I'm hoping your trial can do that." His smile rises just a bit and he pulls out an envelope from his jacket pocket. Handing it to me, I look at it and then back at him. "What's this?"

"Lauren Hill."

"Panthaki..."

"Not for you and I. I promise. I figured you and Max can have a nice time seeing her. Him going through the trial is still going to have a toll on him, so it'll be nice for you two to do an outing before everything gets too crazy for you both." Wow...I was not expecting this from Dr. Charisma.

"Well...um...thank you. That's very thoughtful of you." He nods and goes to leave.

"It's the only good way to apologize for being a douche yesterday."

"Well, it certainly isn't a bad start." I say and his smile widens, showing his pearly white teeth.

"Have a good day, Dr. Sharpe." Walking off, he heads up the stairs and leaves me there with the tickets. Turning away from the area, I start to make my way back across the atrium when my phone goes off.

Max.

I don't really want to pick up right now, but I probably should.

"Hey, Max are you on your way..."

"Helen...." Georgia. She sounds upset. "Helen can you hear me?"

"Georgia? Georgia what's wrong? Where's Max?" She hysterically breathes over the receiver and my heart starts racing.

"He...he just collapsed....he just dropped and he's not waking up...."

"Georgia! Did you call 911?"

"Yes...they're on their way but the call dropped...I didn't know what to do... please tell me what to do?" Her sobs ring clear through the receiver and my chest grows heavy as my heart pounds hard against my rib cage.

"Listen to me very carefully. Does he have a pulse?" She goes quiet for a few minutes and I just scan the atrium. What happened?

"Yes..."