Part Seventy-Four: Half

"I want half." Castro says as she begins to leave my office.

"Haha, What?" I don't think I heard her correctly.

We had been discussing her trial with other patients like the Euchre troop and a few new patients as well. Castro has been using my office as her own and has take the liberty as acting out her fantasy of being the Head of Oncology. Now she's threatening me.

"I want half your department or I'm done treating Max in my trial- which would be horrible- considering he's so close to remission because of me." My face goes slack and I furrow my brows.

"Valentina...be reasonable."

"Are you saying you won't save Max's life?" Staring at her for a few moments, I can't understand how she can be so malicious and conniving. How she could use a person's life to get what she wants.

"Fine...half my Department- but you will continue treating Max."

"I knew we could come to an understanding." Smirking, she takes her leave and I can't believe this. How has everything gotten away from me and out of hand? I've literally been back for maybe three hours and already, I've lost half my Department and been expertly ignored by Max. From what I heard, Max hasn't been acknowledging Georgia's death. He hasn't taken any time off to grieve- he comes to work, does his job, and then leaves with not so much a personalized conversation with anyone. He's doing this off the wall things- such as the insulin movement from yesterday morning. On top of it all, he just overall is not Max. Granted, he's not angry frustrated chemo Max from six months ago, but he's not the same sweet guy we all fell in love with. Lord only knows how Luna is. I haven't seen her yet. Does she look like Georgia? Or Max?

There's a knock on my door and when I look up, Max is standing in the doorway. No smile nor frown on his face- his eyes tired and bagged.

"Hey!" I happily say and yet he still doesn't come in.

"Oh...I was looking for Castro..." My stomach flops.

"She just left for the day. Something I can help you with?" He shakes his head and goes to leave. "Max..."

He stops and looks back at me. If I make it personal- he won't stay. He'll very likely walk away anyhow, but if I can will him to stay for just a bit- that's better than nothing.

"Um....Castro and I...we're splitting my Department. I wanted you to be aware of it." His brows slope inward and now his lips are dropping low to his chin.

"What?" He steps in and shuts the door behind him. At least I have his attention...even if it is anger filled.

"She's been doing an excellent job here in my absence and...and..." I need her to keep treating you. "Yeah..."

His eyes go between mine as if looking for more of the story and yet finding nothing.

"If that's what you want to do...then who am I to say otherwise." His voice is even and sounds as if he's talking to a stranger. He remains there for a few minutes- not saying or doing anything of value. Just looking at me. "Is that all?"

"Sophie misses you dearly..." His frown deepens and he just looks downward at his feet for a moment or two before looking back up at me.

"Will you still be using them here?"

"Maybe...I've...I've been slightly better without them, but if you and Luna want to come..."

"Just make sure if you are bringing them in- you have their license. Not that anyone would say anything, but I would suggest a working vest or leash for them- so people know their purpose." He doesn't want to get personal. He's treating me like his employee. He's punishing me. Oh Max, if only you knew how much you're breaking my heart.