Part Fifty-Seven: Chaos

My head pounds this morning.

I feel as if I had too much to drink last night.

The sedative Jenny gave me, though nice, was way to strong.

Opening my eyes, I'm on my couch, still in yesterday's clothing and Max is sitting in my armchair reading the newspaper. When his eyes catch mine, his grin becomes bigger and I know whatever happened last night is going to be embarrassing for me.

"Good morning! How are you feeling?" He cheerily says as I sit up. My stomach hurts slightly from mild cramping and with each inch I sit up- the pain only intensifies. "Not good?"

"No...not good..." I groan as I'm up all the way on my bottom. Setting the paper down on my end table, he gets up and comes over to me. "What time is it?"

"10:30..." Panicking, I try to get up and he holds my hand, gently squeezing it in his.

"It's alright- I called us in sick. All your patients will be taken care of accordingly."

"What even happened last night? Was I hit by a truck or something?" Smirking, he shakes his head and pushes some of my braids over my shoulder.

"Where do I begin? Oh, I know- you wanted to make a porno with Reynolds, Henry and I..."

"No...seriously..."

"Seriously. Talked about it quite loudly as we left the hospital. Yelled very inappropriate things."

"Shit..."

"You also had tried to play with my manhood in the car while Ron was driving." I pinch the bridge of my nose hard and wish it wasn't so. "Had your hand well into my underpants I might add."

"Jesus, Max..."

"Yeah...once we got you home- you kept trying to have sex with me and I told you no. You started making up reason why. From your race, nationality, to your appearance- how your insane, not pretty enough for me and not enough for yourself- and can't have babies." When he says it, my posture stoops against the couch and I close my eyes. If ever to sound like a pathetic loser- that was it. "You then proceeded to hide under the blanket until, I crawled under- told you we were making babies already and you then said you wanted a boy named Ben and asked me to marry you someday."

"God...what is wrong with me? I'm sorry, Max. Apparently, high me is very inappropriate on every level."

"She was quite amusing actually...until you started getting yourself upset." Looking at him, he has a small smile on his face and he just rubs his thumb over the back of my hand. "Over all though- you make some pretty fun jokes when your high as a kite. First one was about me wanking, the next was about me getting you a bun for your oven. So...it was a pretty good night."

"Phhh...figures I'm inappropriate and sad..."

"Just a bit, but hey...it was successful. They retrieved your eggs and fertilized them. Soon, we'll see if it worked for you." My smile rises just a bit and I lean into him more.

"Thank you by the way."

"You don't need to thank me, Helen. I'd do anything for you. I said yes...by the way." Furrowing my brows, I'm slightly confused by what he means. "To your proposal. I said yes- I'll marry you someday."

Cheeks heating up and stomach flopping, I cannot believe him.

"You're joking right? You're just trying to be funny and pick on me." I snort and look towards the back door.

"Absolutely not. I promised you. And I don't break promises." My heart thumps in my chest and my lips part. "But, when you're ready, you can buy me a nice engagement ring and set up the perfect place to pop the question. I'm thinking at a Nix game."