Part Thirty-One: Storm vs Iceman

"Ready to go?" I ask Lauren as I come into the ED, pink pea coat on, and purse dangling off my forearm, I look at her in her leather jacket and backpack- her ponytail in a slight slouchy mess.

"Yes! Yes! A 100 times yes. I'm tired of salad. I need a big sloppy, juicy burger in me." She goes off and just as we go to head out her one Intern comes into the Staff area to get her.

"Dr. Bloom, can we have you look at a patient real quick in Bay 8?" Sighing heavily, he puts backpack down onto table and follows him out.

"Make sure Bulldog's is stocked up on beef- because I'm gonna need a double!" Her humor hits hard as she walks out and I finish texting Max about going out with Lauren. He's been off all day and my comment to him about his semen hardly helped. Putting my phone in my purse, I'm curious. Did Lauren really throw out all those pills? I don't know why I do it, but my hands can't stop themselves. Grabbing her bag, I quickly search through the big pocket- moving her clothes and wallet around and I find nothing. "Are you kidding me?!"

Shit!

"Lauren, I..."

"Did you find what you were looking for?" She growls and I just look down and set her stuff back on the table. "I told you I tossed them and you can't even believe me! I thought you were my friend."

"I am! I'm just concerned, babe. I wanted..."

"Wanted something else to hold over my head." She's livid right now. Her cheeks burn red and I don't know what to do to calm her down.

"What? No! I want to help you and if you are still using I..."

"God! Unbelievable! You don't believe me." She yells and snatched her backpack from the table and pushes passed me, nearly knocking me over.

"Lauren, I..."

"No! You know what. Don't talk to me! We're no longer friends." Standing in the staff lounge, I just blankly stare at the wall and wish that had gone better. I wish I could believe her, but I can't. Even though I didn't find anything in the bag, I still can't find it in me to trust her word. My phone pings in my pocket.

Max.

He's headed for radiation with Nills. Huh, I should probably go talk to him, but is it at the point where I need too? Shaking my head, I head down the empty hallway to radiology and notice him coming towards me. He seems wiped out and dragging. When he notices me- he quickly perks up and changes his attitude. Why does he do this? Fake it? Is it for me? Or him? Going to him, I just crash my body into him and his arms slowly envelope me in a big hug, resting his chin on my shoulder.

"Everything okay?" He asks quietly and I shake my head.

"No...but it doesn't matter. How are you feeling?" Sighing, he knows I seen him.

"Terrible. But it doesn't matter." Placing a kiss on my neck, we walk into the reserved lab and Nills is sitting there.

"Hello, Zack, I'll take over for you." He smiles and pushes off the counter.

"Alright, if you need anything, let me know." Nodding, we all say goodnight and he leaves. When he's gone, I focus my attention back on Max.

"It does matter that you're feeling terrible. As your doctor I need to know these things."

"What about as my girlfriend?" He jokes and I grab his scrub top loosely.

"As your girlfriend it matters even more. Didn't expect that now did you?" Rolling his eyes, I kiss him before pulling off his scrub top. "I'm sorry about this afternoon. I shouldn't have said that."

He says nothing and just hold onto me tightly. The scrub top falls from my hands and I find my slight grip on my hips as I lay my head against his chest.