Part Eighty-Six: Riker's Island

I went home last night, showered, and hid in my bed for much of the evening.

I hadn't heard from Max since the hallway outside the ED and I'm assuming he's more or less going to avoid me for weeks after making the mistake of calling myself Mummy in front of Luna.

My stomach twists this morning as I think about not only the up coming consequences I face with Brantley from being arrested last night, but the thought of Max finding out about it. Slowly walking through the Dam, I adjust my leopard print blouse and black trousers. Brantley has summoned me to the conference room where the board usually meets. I'm less worried about being fired than I am about how Max will handle the news that I got arrested. Then again, last night wasn't the first time I was arrested. Granted that was back in my teenage years, where I rebelled against 'the man' with a group of my emo friends.

Not a great memory, but not one to be overlooked either.

The Dam is already busy with people bustling about in a hurry. I already heard that the ED was getting slammed left and right- and poor Lauren is still high as a kite in her room after her surgery: so Candelario is taking her good old time tending to everyone. I knock on the conference door and Karen Brantley is there sitting- looking menacing.

"Dr. Sharpe, have a seat." I remain silent and sit in a chair across from her. "The board had to post pone this morning's meet to this afternoon- however..."

"Mm..." Max opens the door and comes in- looking slightly irritated and I'm not sure if it's because of me or Brantley. Or maybe both.

"Max, I didn't think you were going to make it."

"Well it's a very busy day and then I heard you were running my best doctor out of town." He walks up beside me and remains standing as he looms down at Brantley across the table. "So I made some time."

"Honestly Max, I can handle it..." I don't know if I want him here. He can be too passionate at times and get carried away.

"Yeah, but you shouldn't have too, because you did nothing wrong." He bites slightly, but I feel it's more at Brantley than I because his eyes never leave hers.

"She was arrested in a heroin den." Karen stands up and I feel like this is going to become physical.

"Safe injection sites aren't flop houses- they're the future. And for helping her patient- who most doctors would have let die in the street- you want to reprimand the most accomplished, most selfless, and by far coolest doctor in this hospital." His voice is deep and commanding and I honestly didn't expect him to say such nice things on my behave- considering everything.

"She broke the law and she got caught! You'll have her disciplinary actions by the end of the day." Marching around the table, Brantley exits the room and the door slams behind her.

"I imagine if you wouldn't have shown up that would have gone poorly." I can't stop staring at the spot she was standing in before she left. I don't know what's going to happen now, but I don't think it's going to be good.

"Why didn't you tell me?" He sits down next to me and leans back in the office chair, facing me- looking flustered. "I didn't hear about any of this..."

"I didn't want to burden you." I interject and his face softens.

"Burden me. Please. Always." I stare into his eyes and he seems tired and rundown. "How have you been feeling?"

Are we gonna talk about Saturday morning? God I hope not.

"Max....we need to talk about Riker's." Vijay pushes open the doors and Max sighs before looking away from me. He stands up and is about to leave me there, until he puts his hand out for me to take it.