Part Seventy: The Death of A Cop

Max didn't come home last night.

After our argument in his office, I was certain he would've changed his mind and came home begging forgiveness for his hysteria. Yet he didn't. I don't know where he ended up, but in my house it was not. I had called him and texted him and was granted silence.

The atmosphere at work this morning is tense. Around every corner, I'm waiting for Max to call me like he always does.

Dr. Helen Sharpe!

Helen Sharpe!

Sharpe!

But none of that occurs. I'd be more worried if this erratic behavior wasn't Max's current go too. I would be more inclined to search for him- if I knew he needed to be found. Yet I know if and when I find him- it will be greeted with nothing short of glares and scoffs.

"Hey! Helen!" Turning, I find Iggy hustling towards me. His paisley tie flapping against his right arm as stacks of papers are crushed to his left side so he can quickly get to me.

"Ig?"

"Have you heard about the Theory of Persuasion?" I look at him, slightly confused and yet intrigued.

"Um...no."

"The theory of Persuasion is a multi-step guide to persuading people to believe and or do something. A lot of cults aaa...and politicians dissect the layers of persuasion and implement them to get followers to do what they desire." We head towards the elevators and he seems rather invested in this conversation. "I know you have been experiencing some issues with our fearless leader- so I'm here to help guide you into guiding him in the right direction."

"That's all fine and good and I'm for it- but if you haven't noticed, Max is MIA. He didn't come home last night because he frankly didn't find my pleading him persuasive enough to medically help him." We stop and wait for the elevator. His eyes search mine briefly before looking back at the silver metallic doors before him.

"Have you tried contacting him?"

"No. I decided to have a spa day all to myself- so I could drink champagne in my claw foot tub and listen to bad monologues from Sex in the City." Sarcasm flows through my voice and he clears his throat as we enter the box and press the button for the fifth floor.

"Fair enough. Well the first platform in the theory suggests that the way the point is presented dictates if the subject will perceive the idea as a strong or weak point. Meaning- the louder and more confident you speak, the stronger the message. The quieter and calmer you are the less likely you are to attract their attention. Tiptoeing never got a politician into office."

"Alright- so I need to be more firm with Max. Got it. Next."

"Technically the next step would have the minority party voice the loudest the idea that needs to be used. Since the only reasonable minority in this situation is Georgia- I don't think this step will be as effective as we would like. So step three is manipulating the information given. To clearly express your idea is one thing, but to back it up and ground it firmly in place is another thing. There are four actions to choose how to do this and you only need one.

1.) Quantity: providing as much information as possible that is complete and full.

2.) Quality: providing truthful and accurate information

3.) Relation: Making the information or idea relative to the over all conversation.

4.) Manner: how the information is expressed in a way that is easy to understand and non-verbal actions to support the over all statement you're are trying to give.