Part Sixteen: Uncovered

"Helen...who hurt you?" He asks again quietly and takes my other hand in his. I look up at him and feel that heaviness come back to my chest.

When Mo wasn't drinking- he was a God sent Angel.

But.

When he did drink- he was the Devil behind the face of a beautiful man.

I never told anyone about his mistreatments because everyone loved him and no one would've believed it. The day he died, I cried for two reasons- one I loved him so much and the sudden death hurt me deeply and two I cried because he was free of his addiction. He died a wonderful man in the eyes of everyone. But to me- he's always going to hold a piece of my sanity and clarity.

"They're gone now...it doesn't matter...." I say and try to stop my crying. He slowly pulls me into his arms and kisses my temple.

"I won't hurt you- ever. I promise. If I ever do- I'll remove myself from your life altogether." I hold onto him and his hands just squeeze me tight.

"It was Mo..."

"You fiancé?"

"Yes...he was a binge alcoholic. Sometimes when he would go on a bender we'd get to arguing and he'd always threaten to hit me..."

"Did he ever?"

"A few times...by accident."

"There's not accident and no excuse great enough in the world to hit a woman."

"He was always just too close or..." Max shakes his head and looks down at me.

"Don't excuse his behavior." He's pissed about this- I can tell. "Drunk or not...I don't care if you clocked him in the face and broke his nose. He should've never touched you."

I think about a few seconds ago when Georgia was beating him hard in the chest. He didn't move or say anything. He just stood their and took it. Is that what real men do?

"Do you know how many times Georgia had hit me or thrown things at my face? Too many to count. Yet I have never laid a hand on a woman- even if she possibly deserved it and sometimes she most definitely did." He hunkers down to look me in the eyes- they search mine intently. "If I ever hear of any man- hitting or physically abusing you- I won't hesitate to put them in the ground. That's the one thing that will always set me off- and that's pretty hard to do."

"I'm sorry..." For some reason, I just start crying. I don't know if it's because there's a slight tone in his voice or because I'm just overwhelmed, but I'm back to that apologetic fear stage.

"Hey....no...you have nothing to apologize for. I'm the one who's sorry. Please, forgive my outbursts." He looks in my eyes and I nod, sobbing a bit, but trying to stop. Leaning down, his lips press to mine and all is better.

"What in the Hell....."

Or not.

Separating, we find Georgia standing in the doorway angry and pissed off. I wipe my lips- as if that could erase her memory of seeing us kissing- which was less passionate than normal and more comforting. She walks over and stares between us. She looks at my lab coat- which I forgot to leave in my office and sarcastically smiles and gawks.

"I assume she's your doctor?! She confirmed your cancer? How's she treating you? Mouth to mouth or her mouth around you dick?!" She growls and my mouth drops open slightly. If she's any louder the whole bloody hospital will hear her.

"Georgia, enough!" Max lowly growls.

"Oh this is perfect. This is why you were so eager to sign those damn papers. It wasn't because you wanted me to be happy. It was for you to be able to fuck some trashy tv icon!"