Chapter 8

You storm up the stairs, making it to the Gryffindor common room. By now, your face is covered in tears and your heart is going a mile an hour. You could've punched anyone who got in your way.

The door to the common room opened. Unfortunately it was pretty full. Your whole body was shaking and you had tears running down your cheeks. You really hoped no one noticed. Why were you even upset? You were going as friends. I guess you just didn't like getting tricked.

Squeezing in between people, you kept your head down and tried to keep the shaking to a minimum, which wasn't working. You couldn't really see where you were going, and bumped into someone.

"Sorry." You mumbled, your voice cracking as you tried to walk around them.

"Y/n?" You looked up. Of course it had to be Harry.

"Hi Harry. I gotta go." You say, trying to move around him, making an attempt to cover your wet face. It didn't work: he'd already seen it.

He grabs your hip and pulls you back. "Y/n... why are you crying?"

"I'm just tired." You wipe your eyes. Harry doesn't let go of you. Instead, he grabs your hand and leads you through the crowd of people up to his room that he shares with Ron, Neville, Dean, and Seamus. He pulled you over to his bed and sat you down.

"Why are you crying?" He repeated. You wiped your eyes.

"I'm not."

Harry laughed. "Y/n... tell me the truth."

"Draco." You sighed. Harry looked at you, confused.

"Draco? What about him?"

You sniffled. "He asked me to the ball the other day. I was really excited. And then-" You wipe your eyes. "I heard him in the hospital wing. He was talking to Crabbe and Goyle. They said he won the bet. That he asked me out, and that he could tell me it was a joke tonight." You wiped your eyes, which were still producing tears. "It was all a bet. I shouldn't even be upset, we were just going as friends.";

Harry looks at the floor, then pulls you in for a hug. His arms and strong and soft, making you feel safe. You look at him.

"Hey guys! Oh.." Ron walks in, forcing you both to move away.

"Uh, hey Ron." Harry said, rubbing the back of his neck.

"Did I- uh- walk in on something?" Ron asks.

"No." You say to Ron, wiping your tears away. "I was just leaving." You get up, say a short goodbye to Harry and walk out.

When you got back to the common room, Hermione was already waiting for you, biting her lip nervously. The second she saw you she jumped up, running over to you.

"Oh y/n! I'm so sorry! That's so awful!" Hermione says, looking worried and sad.

You sigh, nodding. "I knew it was too good to be true. I guess I'm back to going with my friends."

Hermione did a thumbs up. "Yeah! Go with me and Ginny. If it makes you feel any better, Ron hasn't asked me."

You smile sadly. You weren't gonna let Malfoy ruin your Christmas.

You and Hermione walked upstairs to your room to get ready for bed.

"How was the kid?" You asked. "I left before Madam Pomfrey could bring him his potion."

Hermione looked over at you. "He's doing okay. He woke up after the potion, some of the puffiness went down. He was scared. He had no idea why Marcus and the other two did that to him." Hermione frowns.

"Poor kid." You sigh.

Finally, after an hour of talking to Hermione, you get in bed and fall asleep, forgetting all of your worries.