Chapter 87

Your POV
You woke up in the hospital wing. It was dark outside, and you felt like crap. It was as if you had a cold.

"She's awake!" A familiar voice said from beside you. You looked up, rubbing your blurry eyes. Slowly, the world around you came into focus.

Around you, the hospital wing was quiet. You could see the stars shining brightly through the windows.

The faces around you slowly came into focus as well. The golden trio looked down at you worriedly.

"Good morning." You said stupidly, rubbing your eyes.

The three chuckled, watching you.

"How're you feeling?" Hermione asked, stroking your hand.

"Awake." You murmured. The three smiled at you.

"What time is it? Why am I here? What happened? Am I ok-"

"Relax, Y/n. You're safe." Ron said softly.

You blinked. "We were at the lake earlier today, ok?" Hermione said quietly, watching you. "Something pulled you down."

The memories slowly flooded into your mind. The lake. The water. The feeling of your lungs slowly giving out to the pressure of the water and the loss of air.

"Wait- who grabbed me?" You asked, sitting up too quickly and making yourself dizzy.

"I did." Ron said quietly, attempting to hide the proudness in his voice. This set him apart from his brothers. He saved a life.

You smiled at him, grabbing his hand. "Thank you, Ron." You said, kissing his cheek lightly. He smiled, looking at you. "Thank you so much."

Hermione smiled at the both of you before turning her attention back to you. "Now you need lots of water and even more rest. Lay back down." She said, lightly pushing you backwards so you had returned to a laying position. 

"What time is it?" You asked.

"2 in the morning." Harry spoke for the first time since you woke up. And, you would later find out, for the first time since Ron saved you from the grindylow.

"Oh." You said softly, feeling exhausted even though you just woke up.

Hermione looked at the two boys as you yawned. "We should let her get some sleep, you two. I'll come see you in the morning, ok,
Y/n/n?" Hermione said. She only called you your nickname when she was either really worried or really happy.

You smiled at her warily and Ron followed Hermione out. Harry lagged behind.

"Feel better darling." He said, kissing your cheek quickly before walking out of the hospital wing, leaving you wide eyed.

***

The next morning you awoke to birds chirping. You slowly opened your eyes, noticing the pounding headache that hit you the second your eyes opened. The hospital wing looked really peaceful. You were alone, figuring Madam Pomfrey had went to bed. Glancing at the alarm next to your bed which you had not noticed the night before, you realized it was only six in the morning. Breakfast wasn't until 8, and you were sure Madam Pomfrey wouldn't let you go to the Great Hall. You were stuck here for the day.

But you weren't going to be subdued that easy. Being the adventurous person you were, you slipped from your bedding, ignoring the pains from your head. You took a sip of the glass of water on your bedside, noticed the oversized shirt and pants Madam Pomfrey had given you to wear overnight, and snuck from the hospital wing.

The castle was quieter than usual. The noise of your footsteps echoed unnaturally loud against the walls.

You got to the doors. You pushed them open, attempting to continue making little noise. The doors creaked open and allowed you through, the wet morning air hitting your face. You shut the doors behind you and began walking. In no particular direction were you walking, but walking you were. You walked down a few paths, over some grass, on a couple rocks, and around the castle. The air felt nice. You admired the castle, gazing at it as you walked. Animals and wild life lived around you, making soft sounds, eating, and playing. You had always loved animals. And they had always loved you.

You walked over to a doe eating a tuft of grass. The doe's head shot up at the sound of your footsteps. Her ears peaked up and her eyes searched the landscape until they landed on you.

She gazed at you, as if deciding whether to run or not. She sniffed the air, picking up your scent.

Finally, after a short standoff between the two of you, the doe returned to the grass. She didn't even flinch as you approached her.

"Hello, beautiful." You said to the doe. You put your hand softly on her back. Her fur was soft.

The doe continued to eat, not bothering to acknowledge you.

You stroked her back until she finally raised her head, turning to look at you.

You smiled warmly, allowing the doe to sniff the air again. Her ears spiked up once again as she picked up another scent- one that wasn't yours.

The hair on her back and the back of her neck stood up and she stood rigidly, almost as if she was frozen with fear.

She sniffed once more. Suddenly, in the blink of an eye, she excelled, running quickly yet gracefully away. You watched her go, confused.

What had she smelled? What scared her?" You looked around, scoping the landscape as the very same deer had done when she smelled you. Yet your eyes picked up nothing.

You stood still, curious. You continued looking around, willing your eyes to see now what they hadn't before. Yet this time, it worked.

A large black dog stood at the edge of the Forbidden Forest, watching you with its dark, beady eyes.