Chapter 93

You looked up at Sirius. "Mr. Black, Pete-"

"Call me Sirius, please. I'm sick of people acting like I'm a mad man."

"Ok, well, Sirius. Peter Pettigrew is dead."

Sirius chuckles darkly. "Oh, that's exactly what he wants you to think. I didn't kill the man, as much as I wanted to."

You watched Sirius talk, his expression growing darker as he spoke.

"Peter Pettigrew gave the Potter's location to Voldemort. And when he knew that he would be caught, he knew me and Remus would've murdered him in cold blood-"

"Remus? Like Professor Lupin?"

"Professor?" Sirius looked up at you and chuckled. "He's a professor now?" Sirius began to laugh. "What position is he in?"

"He teaches Defense Against the Dark Arts. He's really great, actually. My favorite teacher."

Sirius smiled proudly. "Lupin always had a knack for teaching. He was also always a leader. I remember back when we were kids, and we found out he was a werewolf-"

You gasped. Sirius looked up before he made a face of realization.

"He didn't tell you?"

"No! No, I had no idea-" You said, shocked. Sirius sighed.

"He definitely won't appreciate that one. Please, don't tell anyone." Sirius said sadly.

"Of course, I won't. But... wow." You paused. "So, uhm... what were you talking about?"

"Oh! Yes. Remus is a great leader, the best. When we found out he was a- er, you know- we all decided that we would help him out. So he wouldn't have to spend as many lonely nights when there was a full moon." Sirius laughed, reliving the memories. "We tried to become animagi. So we could spend time with him in the Shrieking Shack."

"Shrieking Shack?"

Sirius looked at you and nodded. "Oh, yes. It isn't really haunted- at least, not that I think. It took me, James, and Peter years to become animagus. It was a very long process. But when we finally did it, we would spend full moons in the shrieking shack with Remus. He would howl and growl and bark and everyone always thought it was haunted. But no, it was just the four us. The lot of us, a bunch of idiots." Sirius smiled and you did too, watching his face.

Sirius sighed and looked up at the moon. "I should transform back, now. Before anyone sees me." You blinked and Sirius contorted into dog form, the dog you now recognized. You smiled at him, liking the way he acted as a dog. He licked your face before slowly walking off, looking over his shoulder. You smiled and waved goodbye.

Standing, you slowly trudged back into the castle. The giant clock on the wall showed you it was 1:30 in the morning.

You slowly walked up the stairs. You didn't want to go back to your room. Your head was swimming. You had befriended a murderer, who wasn't really a murderer, because he was framed by the person he "murdered" Wow. Too much to process.

As you slowly made your way to the common room, you began to become more aware of your surroundings. The creaks in the floorboards, the snores and whispers of the paintings. The way the moon lit up the hallway, just enough for you to see a couple feet in front of you.