Chapter 10

You walked into the lunch room with Harry. Ginny had to meet with Lupin.

You and Harry walked together to sit with your friends. You looked around the Great Hall to see everyone, and noticed Malfoy.

He's sitting at the Slytherin table. He notices you walking in with Harry, and looks upset. You realize he must be jealous.

 You realize he must be jealous

But that makes no sense. He was the one who didn't like you back. He was the one who did it for a bet. You pushed Malfoy out of your mind. He wasn't worth your time.

Harry notices Malfoy looking at you. "Ignore him. Trust me." You smile at Harry and nod.

"Yeah. Honestly, I'd rather just go with my friends. Not have to worry about having a date."

"Really?" Harry asked, looking at you weirdly. The two of you sat down, Ron, Hermione, and Neville already sitting down. "With your friends? So you don't want to dance with anyone?"

"Maybe Crabbe." You joke, and Harry laughs.

"No, seriously though."

You shrug. "I dunno. I like to dance, but I can't say I'm very good at it. I also doubt anyone would want to dance with me. Maybe I'll just dance by myself. No harm in that."

"Oh..." Harry says. "Well, you could dance with me."

You chuckle. "Sounds good." Trying to play it cool. But suddenly your heart was going a mile an hour, and you felt flustered. Why? You didn't even have a crush on him. You were just friends, right? You never felt any strong feelings for him. But....

Harry didn't ask you to be his date, but he did ask you to dance. You felt all giddy inside.

Dumbledore stood up and started to speak.

"Hello, my students! As you all know, today is the Christmas Ball. You will be given five hours to socialize and prepare after lunch. Once dismissed, I must ask that you stay in your common rooms, and not meet with students of other houses. I want you all to be surprised by your fellow students' dresses and suits. You are all dismissed, jolly preparing!" The Great Hall filled with chatter as you and your friends stood.

You and Hermione were walking together and Ron and Harry were walking together behind you.

"Has Ron asked you yet?" You whispered to Hermione.

"No! That is- thats- I don't want to go with Ron! I mean, not that I don't want to, I wouldn't care- I mean, it's not like I like him-"

You heard Ron and Harry both stop talking. Hermione hadn't whispered that sentence, rather spoken it. You didn't know whether the boys had heard it or not. Ron frowned.

The four of you walked awkwardly to the common room.

The you and Hermione sat down on the couch by the fireplace. Harry and Ron sat on the floor facing you.

"My dress isn't hard to put on. I think I'll wait a bit to get my dress on and start my hair and makeup." You say. Hermione agrees.

"Yeah, I'd like to hang out here for a little bit."

Harry and Ron both say the same. So you all decide to just wait in the common room and chat until you all need to get ready.

"So what does your dresses look like?" Harry asks, starting a conversation.

"I like mine a lot." Hermione smiles. "It's got a maroon top and a floral black skirt. My mother got me it, and I think it looks nice."

You agree. "She made it look amazing! We tried on our dresses the other day, it was so fun."

"What about your dress, y/n?" Harry asks.

You smirk. "It's a secret. You'll have to see at the ball."

You hear Christmas music playing in the common room. You turn to Hermione.

"Sooo, Hermione. Are you going with anyone to the ball?" You ask

"No, and I don't want to. " She says. You know she's lying, but she refuses to admit it.

The four of you sat in front of the fire for about an hour and a half chatting about miscellaneous topics.

"Oh look at the time!" You say. "Me and Hermione should go get ready." Hermione and you stand. "Hermione you've got to get ready in case that special someone asks you." You both chuckle as you walk towards the staircase.

"Is she talking about me?" You heard Ron say confusedly as the two of you walk up the stairs. You and Hermione start laughing.