Chapter 88

You felt yourself freeze. The dog was much larger than a normal dog. It sat comfortably watching you, it's eyes never leaving you for a second. It's snout moved wildly, smelling the air around you. You couldn't get an aura from this dog- you had no idea whether it was safe to approach or not.

So you stood still, allowing the cool morning air to swirl around your body. The dog also stayed still, never breaking eye contact.

The dog sniffed again, watching your body language. It's shoulders slowly relaxed.

You kept an eye on the dog as you side stepped towards a small chipmunk. You knew dogs- had one as a child- and knew that this dog, without a second thought, would attack and possibly kill this small thing if it got even the faintest whiff of its scent.

You made a small noise to alert the feeding chipmunk to your presence. The chipmunk's head whipped around, it's eyes searching you. It, too relaxed. It watched as you gently lifted it from the ground, returning your eyes to the dog.

"C'mon little guy, it's not safe out here right now." You said softly, carrying him to a bush. You placed him gently underneath it, handing it the nuts it had just been feeding on. It looked at you appreciatively before grabbing the nuts and hurrying away, sensing the danger.

You watched it go before turning around, walking back to the location you were at before you saved the chipmunk. You looked over at the large black dog, which had gotten closer since the last time you looked at it. The dogs eyes searched you. You slowly walked towards it, not knowing whether it was a good idea or not. Finally, the two of you stood twenty feet away.

The poor dogs hair was matted. He looked skinny, way too skinny to have been fed any time recently. You looked at it sadly, hoping it would stay around long enough for you to at least feed him, and maybe brush him out.

"Hello, buddy." You said softly, watching the dog for any signs of hostility. The dog sat, watching you the same way. It's eyes tracked you, every move your hand made, your mouth made, and your leg made. His eyes were unnaturally bright, alike to a humans.

"You're so skinny, my friend." You said, kneeling. You were still twenty feet away but hoped that your body language would calm the great beast. "Are you hungry?"

The dog nodded. Nodded? You thought. Dogs don't nod...

You gazed at the dog, suddenly feeling weird. The dog got a little closer, by a foot or two. You smiled at him. "If you stick around, I could get you some food from the Great Hall. But you can't go far, okay?" The dog got closer. By now he was only fifteen feet away.

The dog nodded again. How strange... you thought. You watched him sit for a second.

"I'll be back, okay? You stay here." The dog laid down, as if showing you he'd stay put.

"Okay." You said, turning around to hurry back to the castle. You opened the doors and walked into the Great Hall. It had already started filling up with people. You hurried over to your normal seat. None of your friends had arrived yet. You stuffed your hands with food and had almost made it out of the Great Hall when you bumped straight into Madam Pomfrey.

"Y/n! Oh my goodness I was looking for you everywhere! Where have you been?" She asked sternly.

"Oh, I just took a wal-"

"Nevermind, come, come. We have to get you back to the hospital wing."

"No! No, I mean, I have to get outside
because-" You began but stopped yourself. There was something weird about this dog. And you wanted to find out what it was, without Madam Pomfrey up your butt.

"Fine." You mumbled, trudging angrily behind her. How would you sneak the dog food now?

You held the food intended for the beast in your arms and piled it on your bed side table. Madam Pomfrey clicked her tongue disappointedly.

She watched you struggle to pile the mound of food, adding comments like "is the food in here not good enough?" and "how is someone your size going to finish all of that?" which you just blew off.

You sat, eating barely anything as Madam Pomfrey watched you like an eagle for the next half an hour, trying to get you to drink about a gallon of water and down three servings of food.

"I'm okay, Madam, really." You kept repeating, but she would just shake her head and reply with "Nonsense."

After half an hour of this relentless torture you finally got her off of you by saying you felt sick. She handed you a potion to drink which you left on the bedside table and watched her return to her office. Just as you thought it was clear to go to the dog, three familiar yet unwelcome at this time faces appeared in the door.

"Y/n." Hermione smiled, walking over to you.

"Hey, I can't really talk right no-"

"Blimey, Y/n!" Ron cut you off, grabbing a chicken wing from your bedside table. "How're you going to eat all of this?"

"I'm not, but I really need to go-"

"Nice shirt." Harry smiled, looking at the shirt that drowned you in fabric. You smiled, almost forgetting what you had set out to do.

"How was your night?" Hermione asked.

The smile slid from your face. "Great, listen guys, I really need to-"

"It's bloody hot in here isn't it?" Ron cut you off again, not realizing it.

"CAN I SPEAK?" You asked very loudly. The three looked at you in shock. "Sorry... listen I really need to get out of the castle right now. I can't explain now, but I promise I will later."

The three watched you suspiciously before finally nodding, looking  at the floor. You thanked them gratefully before stuffing your arms with the remaining food on the bedside table and hurrying out the doors, chuckling at Madam Pomfrey's cries as you ran.

(THANK YOU SlimySnekBoi SO MUCH FOR THIS IDEA OMG)