Chapter 89

Yes, you felt bad about abandoning your friends like that. But you had a more pressing issue on your mind. An issue with four paws and black fur.

You pushed the door of the castle open and held the pile of food tightly. You walked quickly, wasting no time. Finally, you reached the spot where you had seen the dog.

Just as the beast had promised, he sat in the same spot you left him. He looked sad. Like he had wished you were there. You did say you'd be right back- and took about an hour to return to him.

"Hey, buddy." You said, approaching him. His face lit up and his ears shot up as he looked at you. He stood quickly, as if excited by the sight of all the food in your arms.

You dropped all the food in a pile in front of the dog.

The dog looked at it. It was as if he was debating trusting you. He returned his gaze you, watching you. You kept his gaze and returned the favor, watching the large dog. The dog glanced at the food again before slowly backing away.

You hadn't gained his trust.

"Oh, no puppy! Come on, you look so hungry. I can back away if you want?" You asked, talking to him as if he was a human.

The dog looked at you pointedly, as if saying "Yes please."

So you did just that, backing up about twenty feet. Finally the dog relaxed his shoulders and returned his gaze to the food.

He sniffed it, looking for any signs of a trick. After about a minute of intense sniffing, he seemed to find nothing wrong with it.

The dog looked up at you and- smiled?!- as if saying "Thanks for the meal!" Before digging in to the food you had deposited.

You sat twenty feet away, watching the starving dog dig in to the meal.

You smiled, feeling helpful. You liked helping things, especially animals.

The dog continued to eat the meal sloppily, leaving crumbs and pieces of food all over the floor. You watched the dog for about ten minutes until he finally cleaned up the scraps of his meal.

He looked up at you, sitting back down. You smiled at him, seeing a tiny improvement in his weight already.

A loud bell rang from the school signaling first period.

"I've got to get back, my friend, but we will do this again. Don't run off. I need to be able to find you if I'm ever going to feed you again."

The dog smiled at you before nodding. He turned and slowly walked away, returning to his spot in the forest. You watched him. He laid down on top of a large rock readying for sleep.

You smiled to yourself before making your way back to the castle.

***

You returned to the hospital wing. Madam Pomfrey threw a fit, lecturing you, asking if you were okay, checking your body for scratches, asking if you were okay, asking you where the food went, asking if you were okay....

You laid back down, watching Madam Pomfrey. She continued her lecture before finally giving up and leaving you to sleep. You stared at the ceiling, thinking about the dog. He was so... strange? His eyes seemed so familiar, his movements were so un-animal like, his expressions were so human....

You turned it over in your mind for a while until sharp footsteps drew your mind away from the beast. You looked up to see Professor Snape at the door, talking to Madam Pomfrey.

"She needs rest, Severus, I cannot allow you to talk to her-" Madam Pomfrey whispered. Her voice was quiet but you could still hear her.

Snape just pushed past her. He approached your bed.