Chapter 86

Your POV
You watched Oliver and Harry get up onto the hut, grinning at each other.

"Y/n!" A voice behind you startled you. You turned around to see Ron and Hermione at the edge of the lake. You grinned at them.

"Come on in!" You said. The two both pulled their robes off to reveal swim wear. They must've changed before they got here.

"3, 2, 1!" Oliver said and the two jumped it, creating a big splash. Oliver did a flip, and Harry stumbled and fell in clumsily.

Many of the students clapped while you laughed at Harry. Ron and Hermione hopped in next to you.

Harry surfaced and so did Oliver. Oliver smiled at Harry before swimming off to his friends.

Harry reached you three. "Hey, Ron. Hermione." He smiled.

"Hey Harr-" Hermione began.

"Lupin took forever!" Ron complained. "We sat in there for like an hour, and Hermione said it would only take fifteen minutes."

Hermione smiled. "Oops."

The two grinned at each other before blushing and turning away. You and Harry looked at each other knowingly, smirking.

"The huts getting boring." Harry said. "Can we go out farther?"

The three of you nodded and the four of you swam out farther into the lake until none of your feet touched the ground and you couldn't see the bottom.

You had never much liked the water, but it was an embarrassing fear and you had never told anyone. The three seemed so content so you didn't mention it.

"The water feels nice." Hermione said enjoying it. Ron smiled at her, watching her swim.

You looked down at the water below you, feeling uneasy. It felt as though something lurked below in the water, watching you.

Ron looked at you. "Y/n?" He asked. You looked up, startled by his voice. "Sorry! Sorry."

The three smile and turn away, looking over at the view.

Suddenly you felt something wrap around your leg. Down you went. The air disappeared and the pressure of the water squeezed around you. You screamed, but no noise left your mouth. Deeper and deeper it pulled you until all sound was off, as if a switch had flicked and the world went dark.

Lower and lower you went, the thing around your leg never loosening, until you had given up hope. The air from your lungs seeped away quickly, leaving you to drown below the surface.

A strong and firm hand grabbed yours. That's when you passed out.

Ron's POV
Me and Hermione got to the lake, having just changed into bathing suits. I could see Y/n watching Harry and- Oliver?- on top of a hut. They looked as if they were preparing to jump. Me and Hermione looked at each, smirking.

"Y/n!" I greeted. She turned around, seeing us.

"Come on in!" Y/n said, waving. We watched Harry and Oliver jump into the lake as we both hopped in next to her.

"Hey Ron. Hermione." Said Harry after he surfaced.

"Hey Harr-" Hermione began but I cut her off, eager to complain about my day.

"Lupin took forever!" I complained, cutting Hermione off. She gave me a look. "We sat in there for like an hour, and Hermione said it would only take fifteen minutes."

Hermione smiled at me cheekily. "Oops." I rolled my eyes, and smiled at her. We made eye contact and both turned away, blushing. I didn't know why but I did that a lot around her.

"The huts getting boring." Harry said. "Can we go out farther?" Me, Y/n, and Hermione nodded, also bored. We swam out farther into the lake, the sound of the other students fading. We swam out until our feet didn't touch the bottom and we couldn't see it, either. I loved the water. My mom and Dad always took me swimming when I was younger, and I still go with Fred and George sometimes.

"The water feels nice." Hermione said. I smiled at her, liking the wide smile she had plastered on her face. I watched her swim, her body moving elegantly in place in the water.

I turned back to the group, looking at the others. Harry swam calmly, looking around. Y/n was looking uneasily below her, as if scared to get eaten by a shark or something dumb like that. She looked really worried.

"Y/n?" I asked, looking at her. She looked up at me, startled by my voice.

"Sorry! Sorry." She apologized, looking away. We smiled at her before turning our heads simultaneously to look over at the mountains.

Y/n's mouth opened as if she was going to say something. Suddenly a loud splash came from directly behind us. Y/n, moving so fast that she appeared a blur, disappeared under the water. Her scream was muffled by the waves.

"Y/n!" Me, Harry, and Hermione all screamed. We could no longer see her but still see her scream.

Instincts kicking, I dove beneath the water. Hermione called my name but I was already plummeting below the waves, following the bubbles that Y/n left behind.

The water pushed against me, making it harder and harder to hold in the air in my lungs. I got dizzier and dizzier and was just about to lose all air when Y/n's limp body appeared in front of me. A grindylow was holding her leg, dragging her downward. I sped up, finally reaching her.

I ripped the grindylow's hand from her leg and kicked it, hard, in the nose. The grindylow cringed away, leaving Y/n. I grabbed her waist and began swimming upwards, feeling my lungs slowly collapsing.

The surface grew closer. The light from the sun shone through, lighting up the top of the water.

50 feet away. I was so close. 40 feet away. My head began to spin. 30 feet away. Is that Harry and Hermione floating up there? And (20 feet away) why did my chest hurt so badly? 10 feet away. I don't think I'll make it. 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.

My head bobbed against the water as I gasped air in, never having felt so starved of anything ever.

Harry grabbed onto Y/n's limp body and said loudly, "We need to bring her to the hospital wing!" as Hermione hurried over to me.

"Ronald!" She screamed, wrapping her arms around me in the water. I felt her soft head nuzzle into my neck. She breathed hard. "Never do that again!"

I smiled, putting my hand awkwardly onto my back. The moment was cut short as Harry, who had managed to swim about 20 feet away, yelled "I need help getting her to the castle!"