Lost For Words and Faked Confidence

(Celia POV) (Saturday)

Ron and I enter the Hall together since he was talking to be about the game and how nervous he was getting. I thought maybe I could help him out by talking about it all, and how his practices have been going really well.

Ron eyes were lowered and his knuckles were taped for Quidditch. Ron was flexing his fingers anxiously as he makes his way towards the Gryffindor table.

"Knock it off or I'll have to re-tape them," I told Ron and he looked at me before cringing.

"Sorry, I'm just nervous," he admits to me quietly. "I'm keeper again, you know?"

"That's okay, I was too for my first match after being out of play for a while." I pat his back softly and gave him an assuring smile.

"And how did that go for you?" He asks me.

"I don't really remember," I answered honestly.

Neville passes us as he was going the other way. "Good luck, eh, Ron?" Ron nods shortly, then Seamus comes up on his side.

"Counting on you, Ron. I've two Galleons on Gryffindor." Seamus said before looking at me, "how you goin?" He asks me.

"I'm fine," I answered blankly as Seamus peels off and saunters away. Ron cuts his eyes toward the Slytherin table as did I, where the Quidditch team sits together.

One Slytherin juts his chin toward Ron and mutters something.

A few turn and snigger. Ron averts his eyes and almost runs into Cormac, who eyes him with disdain as he passes.

Frowning, Ron drops down opposite Harry and Hermione. Harry eyes him briefly, knowingly he pushes a plate across. Ron takes a fork and pokes at it glumly.

"You sitting with us?" Harry asks me, I sat myself besides Hermione and smile at the pair before sighing as I read my book.

"Harry?" He looks up, "can I borrow your scarf for today?" I asked him and he nodded his head.

"I'll get it for you before the match starts," I thank him quietly before flipping the page and went back to reading.

"So. How was it?" Ron asks as Hermione continues to read the Prophet, unaware of Ron's mood.

"How was what?" Hermione asks him.

"Your dinner party." Ron said refraining a mocking tone.

"Dead boring. Though I think Harry enjoyed dessert." Hermione looks to him as Harry's eyes then shift to find Hermione smiling faintly from behind the Prophet.

"Ol' Sluggy's having a Christmas do, you know. And we're meant to bring someone." Hermione hints to Ron.

"I expect you'll be going with McLaggen. Isn't he a member of the Slug Club?" Ron asks her in a poor matter.

"Actually, I was going to ask you." Hermione told him.

"Really?" Ron asks her.

"Really. But seeing as you have such a distaste for the idea—" she pauses as Lavender walked past.

"Good luck today, Ron! I know you'll be brilliant!" Ron smiles feebly before he looks back down at his plate. Hermione stares daggers at her as she giggles while jogging off.

"I'm resigning. After today's match. McLaggen can have my spot." Ron told us weakly. Hearing this, Hermione turns back. Harry catches her eye and extends a shaking hand to indicate Ron's mental state.

"Have it your way. Juice?" Harry asks Ron. Hermione blinks as she is surprised by Harry's callousness. Ron is surprised as well and mildly put out. I was too busy reading to care.