Hogwarts Isn't Home Anymore

(Celia POV)

(continuing on from the last chapter)

I was in my Hogwarts uniform as we walked from the courtyard, a stream of us Hufflepuffs move toward the Great Hall.

Everyone walked grimly, facial expressions blank, as if accustomed to such exercises. Susan was beside me, I could feel her fear as she grabbed my wrist like she's done many times before.

"It's going to be okay," I whisper to her.

"I know, because you're here," she smiles at me for a quick moment before her face returns to a blank canvas.

-

Each House stands together as a group, the room buzzing. No one sits. Harry is nowhere to be seen. At the Tall Table at the top of the Hall two Death Eaters, Amycus and Alecto Carrow stand like sinister sentinels, their eyes raking the crowd.

I saw Professor McGonagall, her face ashen, her bearing reduced as she stands along the right wall, while Professor Flitwick stands by the left wall.

As Snape enters, the room goes slowly silent.

"Many of you are surely wondering why I have summoned you here at this hour. It has come to my attention that earlier this evening... Harry Potter was sighted in Hogsmeade."

A murmured thrill fills the Hall. McGonagall's eyes glisten with curiosity when she saw me in the Hufflepuff crowd.

I put a finger to my lips as my appearance changed back to the one I created.

Snape raises his voice, briefly, to quell the noise in the Hall.

"I mention this in the hopes that truth will not be supplanted by rumour. For myself and a few select members of the staff this comes as little surprise. We have, for some time, considered Mr. Potter's return to Hogwarts to be not only possible but inevitable."

This can't be good, he knows too much.

"Consequently, in the past several months and under my specific direction, exhaustive defensive strategies have been employed to defeat any attempt Mr. Potter might make to breach these walls."

"But know this. Should anyone... student or staff... attempt to aid Mr. Potter, that person will be punished in a manner consistent with the severity of their transgression."

My eyes clamp shut for a moment before I open them again.

"Rest assured: So long as I am Headmaster at Hogwarts, Harry Potter will never again step foot in this castle."

As applause erupts from the Slytherins, Snape raises his voice and it returns to silence.

"Now then, if anyone here has knowledge of Mr. Potters movement this evening... I invite you to step... forward... now."

Snape's eyes rake the Hall.

Dead silence.

A nervous shift of glances between us all occurred. And then footsteps echo.

A figure appears in the shadows at the back of the Hall. McGonagall's chin rises in disbelief.

"I think I can help you out with
that..." Harry appears and I purse my lips. "It would seem that, despite your exhaustive defensive strategies, you have a bit of a security problem, Headmaster."

Snape stares in stunned disbelief, then his gaze shifts as one by one, others emerge: Ron. Hermione. Lupin. Arthur. Molly. Fred. George. Percy. Luna. Dean Thomas. Bill. Fleur. Kingsley Shacklebolt.

I step out and take my robes off as my wand was pointed at Snape, Harry and I look at each other and nod.

"And I'm afraid it's rather extensive." I growled at Snape. The Carrows, who had been moving towards Harry and I, falter and turn to Snape with uncertainty.