Chapter 8

"MY LADY, your beauty is blinding!"

For today, she wore a yellow brocade dress with mesh puff sleeves. The neckline was wide so she wore a black silk choker with a dangling amber gemstone.

For her face, she asked the maids to put light makeup on her. Her cheeks and lips were naturally pinkish anyway. And for her hair, Isabella tied it in an elegant braided bun using a flower-shaped pin. It matched the tiny dangling earrings and bracelet that she wore.

"Thank you, Isabella," Tilly said while looking at the maid's reflection in the mirror. Right now, she was alone in her room with Isabella. She asked the other maids to leave after they helped her dress up. "I can't wait to meet Captain Kiho."

Isabella suddenly went pale. "M-My lady, I know that you said that rumors are usually exaggerated to amuse people. But I don't think that's the case with Captain Kiho. It's an open secret that the Black Serpent Knights carry out assassination jobs for the emperor. Out of the four Orders in the empire, the Black Serpents are the scariest."

In the Moonchester Empire, there were Four Orders of the Knights:

1. The Black Serpent Knights

2. The Golden Tiger Knights

3. The Blue Dragon Knights

4. The Red Phoenix Knights

The Golden Tigers, Blue Dragons, and Red Phoenixes were all adored by the citizens. Only the Black Serpents were discriminated. And it wasn't only because of their assassination job.

[The Black Serpents Knights aren't from the nobles families. Most of them are mercenaries in the past just like Kiho. While the others are commoners. That's the reason why most people look down on them.]

Unlike the Black Serpent Knights, the other three orders were of nobility. The captains of the Golden Tigers, Blue Dragons, and Red Phoenixes were all higher nobles. And aside from their noble blood, they were also just as skilled as Kiho.

[But my captain is still the best for me.]

"Isabella, a good heart is more important than a noble bloodline when you're choosing a partner," Tilly gently said to Isabella.

Isabella still looked horrified. "But my lady, does the captain have a heart?"

She laughed at her innocence. She wasn't upset because she knew that Isabella said that out of ignorance. After all, the maid didn't know the captain personally. "Kiho is a good person. But I prefer it if I'm the only woman who sees his gentle side. If you discover the real him that's very different from the rumors, I'm afraid that you might fall in love with my captain."

The maid's face suddenly went red as if she was embarrassed. "M-My lady, perhaps… you're in love with the captain?"

"We're not yet there," she said with a playful smile. "But we'll get there soon."

Isabella gasped and covered her mouth in surprise. "If that's how my lady feels, then I will support you. I'll try not to get scared of Captain Kiho."

"I appreciate that."

A few moments later, another maid came to inform him that Kiho has arrived in the estate.

When she went down, she was informed by the butler that Kiho was already in the parlor room with her father. After that, she went to the room where the two men were. This time, the head butler Gustang was waiting by the door.

"Lady Prescott has arrived," Gustang announced before he opened the double doors.

[Here we go.]