Chapter 18

"LADY PRESCOTT, I've heard about the dispute you had with Sir Belington a few days ago," Sir Ainsworth told her.

Tilly almost choked on her own saliva when Sir Ainsworth brought that up after the small talk they had a while ago.

Currently, they were using the captain's carriage. She accepted his offer because she didn't want to be rude to him. Plus, she didn't want anyone to think that she was making Her Royal Highness wait for her.

She was kind of scared now because she was alone. That was because she asked Blake to follow Flint and to make sure that the child wouldn't be hurt. She also asked him to bail the boy out of jail. At first, the vice-captain didn't want to leave her alone with Sir Ainsworth.

But when she pleaded, Blake finally gave in. The vice-captain left her a communication device and told her to contact him if anything happens.

[I'm with the Golden Tiger Knights' captain so I'll be safe.]

"The knights who arrested Sir Belington that day told me that you wanted to question how I train my troop," Sir Ainsworth continued. "But it didn't push through when you decided for a settlement instead."

Sir Ainsworth was a really intimidating now that she had met him in person. But she had to stand by what she said that day. It wasn't like she would take it back just because the captain of the Golden Tiger Knights looked a little bit scary.

"That's true, Sir Ainsworth," Tilly confirmed in a voice that she hoped sounded confident enough. "I may not be close enough to you for us to be considered as friends. But I heard stories about how fair and honorable you are both as a noble and as one of the captains of the Four Orders. And I believe them. My father talks highly of you. That's why I can't believe that your troop has produced a knight that would tarnish your good name by showing disrespect to a captain." She clenched her teeth when she remembered the harsh words Sir Belington said to Kiho that day. "Sir Kiho doesn't have a noble bloodline but he's still the captain of the Black Serpent Knights. I just couldn't stay silent as Sir Belington belittle Sir Kiho for being a commoner. Isn't it also a part of our noble duty to look after the citizens of Moonchester Empire regardless of their blood?"

Sir Ainsworth seemed to be impressed by her long "speech." "Spoken like a true noble."

She just smiled at his remark.

"I understand your sentiment," he continued. "I know this may sound like an excuse but I have to let you know that there are problematic knights in every troop. I'll monitor my men closer to make sure that the Golden Tiger knights will uphold the value I instill in them whether I'm looking or not. Thank you for your honest feedback, Lady Prescott."

She suddenly felt embarrassed. "I hope my words didn't offend you, Sir."

"Not at all," he assured her. "I appreciate your honesty."

"Thank you."

"I heard that you recently got engaged to Captain Kiho," he said when he changed the subject. "I apologize for the late greeting but congratulations on your engagement, Lady Prescott."

She lightly bowed her head. "In behalf of Captain Kiho, thank you, Captain Ainsworth."

"Captain Kiho is lucky to have you as his future wife, Lady Prescott," Sir Ainsworth said in a somewhat more gentle tone than usual. When she raised her head to look at him, he gave her a small smile. "It seems like you genuinely care about him. I thought it would be a political marriage between you and Captain Kiho. But I guess I was wrong."

"It was both our choice to get married, Sir Ainsworth," Tilly said with a smile. "Captain Kiho is good to me so I'm luckier to have him."

***