Chapter 15

"DID Duke Prescott scold you for what happened the other day?" Kiho asked Tilly after she told him about her argument with her father.

"He scolded me as soon as he got home," Tilly confirmed while nodding her head. "Kiho, I'm starting to get suspicious of my father."

"What do you mean?"

"My Mana is weak but it seemed like he wanted me to get rid of my magical ability," she said. "I can't help but think that my Mana is something that's supposed to be special."

Her mother got gravely ill because of her Mana and that fact was strange already.

All nobles were born with strong bodies capable of containing Mana– no matter how strong it was. Of course, there were exceptionally rare commoners like Kiho who were born with magical abilities despite the lack of a noble bloodline.

But her mother was a noble and she was supposed to be compatible with her Mana. But her mother's own magical ability technically killed her.

"Kiho, have you heard of a Mana that could kill its host?"

The captain shook his head. Then, he paused as if he just remembered something. But he seemed to be hesitant.

"Tell me," she said while looking up at him with puppy dog eyes. "Please?"

He gulped while looking at her face as if he couldn't bear to say "no" to her. His resistance lasted for a mere five seconds before he gave in and told her what she wanted to know. "In the past, there were black mages who performed human experiments on commoners without magic ability. These black mages forcefully injected Mana stones inside the body of their victims. Most of the common folk died because their body wasn't compatible with the Mana inside them. Because of that, the previous emperor ordered execution for all the black mages who participated in that cruel experiment."

That was depressing.

Ah, now she knew why he didn't want to tell her at first.

"Tilly, is there something wrong with your Mana?" Kiho asked with a hint of worry in his usual monotonous voice. "Is it trying to hurt you?"

She shook her head to put him at ease. "I was just wondering if I could do something else aside from making my body temperature hot. I thought I could be a Fire Wielder."

When she was a little girl in her previous life, she thought she could be a Fire Wielder because she once watched the parade of some Red Phoenix Knights who could control fire. But she lost interest as soon as she started to attend tea parties with ladies her age.

"Fire Wielders can only control fire using special weapons or rare spirit stones," Kiho said. "If you can produce fire within your body, then you must be a Fire Mage."

"Fire Mage?" she asked in a voice filled with curiosity. She didn't know why but her heart started to beat erratically when she heard the term. "That sounds fancy, Kiho."

Well, it didn't really sound fancy. In fact, the term was so bland and common. She just liked the idea of her turning out to be a mage.

[And a Fire Mage at that!]

"You can't be a Fire Mage, Tilly," Kiho said in a serious tone. "Their tribe is considered as the royal family's sworn enemy."

Her eyes widened in surprise. "But why?"

"Apparently, the Fire Mage Tribe betrayed the royal family in a war that happened a long time ago," he explained. "Ever since then, their tribe was exiled from Moonchester Empire. But since the royal family needed fire to strengthen their military power, the Royal Mages searched for people with affinity to the fire element. They taught the chosen ones how to use tools with fire-based magic. Thus, Fire Wielders were created."