Chapter 16

TILLY blinked in surprise when she saw Blake when she went out of her room.

[Ah, I almost forgot.]

She remembered that Kiho left the vice-captain to her as her personal knight.

It was actually a big deal because everyone in the empire knew that Blake would only follow Kiho's orders. But knowing his stubborn personality, she was surprised that the vice-captain accepted that kind of job.

"I'm Blake," he said to her. "Vice Captain of the Black Serpent Knights."

Isabella (who was standing beside her), glared at Blake. It was funny how the tiny girl tried to intimidate a huge guy like the vice captain…

… and it actually worked.

"Lady Prescott," Blake added politely. "Good morning."

Isabella looked quite satisfied.

Tilly laughed softly at the exchange.

She remembered that Blake, no matter how intimidating he looked, was actually afraid of ladies who had the courage to call him out or talk back to him. So the key to taming the vice captain was to simply hold your ground and resist his intimidation.

[Isabella did a good job, huh?]

"Good morning, Sir Blake," Tilly greeted him with a smile. "Would you like to accompany me to the pavilion?" She motioned for the pot that Isabella was holding. It contained the little fishes that she would feed her "children" in the pond. "It's time for my pets to eat."

"That's literally my job, Lady Prescott," Blake said. "I'll follow you anywhere, just like what Captain Kiho instructed me to do."

"Very well," she said, then she started to walk first.

Isabella and Blake followed a few steps behind her.

She greeted and smiled back at every servant that she saw while walking from the mansion to the garden leading to the pond.

"Sir Blake, did Kiho bring Damian with him?" Tilly asked Blake to make a small talk. "I forgot to ask the captain about the number of knights he'd be bringing with him."

"It's not a big mission so the captain only brought Damian and another knight called Whitton," the knight said. "Since they'd be using the portal in the royal palace, Captain Kiho was advised to bring a small company."

That made her feel relieved.

Kiho was the strongest captain in the empire, no doubt about it. But she didn't want him to overestimate himself and get hurt. Especially not when he was only going to a dangerous island to get her a fine engagement ring.

[Yeah, I figured him out when he not-so-discreetly measured my ring size.]

Last night, she asked her father about Pillas Islands since she hadn't been there even in her previous life. She knew that the duke had already been in the island for his trading business so he asked him to tell her about his time there.

According to her father, the Pillas Islands was known for its pearls and tropical fruits.

As soon as she heard about the pearls, she realized that Kiho may have decided to get her a pearl for her engagement ring. That made her worry because she also heard from her father that the finest pearls in the island could only be found in the nest of gigantic sea monsters.

She wasn't sure if Kiho really had a mission in the Pillas Islands or his sole purpose was to get her a pearl. But she was certain about one thing: the captain would definitely aim to get the finest pearl in the island even if it was in the heart of the sea monsters' lair.