Chapter 36

"KIHO, you really fought giant sea monsters just to get me a pearl ring?" Tilly asked the captain while they were taking a rest at her room.

They just finished talking to the reporter interviewed them for her engagement ring. Apparently, she was the first noblewoman in the empire who received a pearl ring instead of a diamond one. Moreover, the pearl came from the nest of sea monsters.

Yep, the reporter already heard the story from a "very reliable source."

"Yes," Kiho said with a scowl, then he sipped his coffee.

After living with him under the same roof for the past week, she found out that Kiho preferred coffee over tea when she discovered his stash of coffee beans.

She didn't notice that in her past life despite being married to him for many years. After all, she loved tea and would always ask the maids to make one for them. She just assumed that Kiho liked tea as well because he never complained.

But this time, she wanted him to have more freedom around her. And she liked coffee as well. So she asked the servants to make coffee for them after the reporter left.

"It's not a big deal though," Kiho continued when he put the cup down on the table. "Pillas asked for the empire's help to get rid of the sea monsters that managed to destroy the barrier that they made. And so, His Majesty sent me to deal with it."

"Uh-huh," she said, not entirely believing him.

[Knowing Kiho, he probably asked the emperor to send him to Pillas Islands to get the pearl that he wanted. And thus, His Majesty had to make an excuse for him to enter the island.]

But it seemed like the captain didn't want to make a big deal out of it so she just let it slide.

Plus, she noticed that he was in a sour mood the entire time they were being interviewed. His answers were polite but short, as if he didn't want to share anything more than what he was asked. The reporter felt that too so he focused on talking to her instead.

"Kiho, why are you in a bad mood?" Tilly asked curiously. "Were you just forced to do the interview a while ago?"

"No, Tilly," Kiho denied while shaking his head. "To be honest, His Majesty asked me to do the interview with you. According to the emperor, even though the rumor about you and Captain Denver were proven to be false, people wouldn't easily forget the scandal. So to make them forget it, we have to distract their attention from the negative news to a positive one." He let out a deep sigh while shaking his head. "But I didn't expect that His Majesty would tell the reporter how I got the pearl that was used to make your engagement ring. I didn't want the whole empire to know that."

"But you still shared the story to the reporter."

"Well, I also think that His Majesty is right," he admitted. "I want everyone to forget the false rumor between you and Captain Denver as soon as possible." He tilted his head at one side as if he was in deep thought. "Right. I shouldn't be acting this way since the emperor only did that to help us. I just hope that after this, people would stop assuming malicious things about our relationship."

"It won't be easy because people love gossips," she said. Then, a brilliant idea suddenly popped into her head. "Kiho, I also believe that His Majesty is right. We have to make them ~completely~ forget about the false rumor between me and Captain Denver. But this interview wouldn't be enough. Some naysayers may even think that we're only doing damage control. So to shut them up, I just thought of a grand plan."

"What is it?"

"I want to add something to our wedding, Kiho," she said. "But it will cost a fortune."