Chapter 27

TILLY watched Captain Denver carefully put a blanket over Flint after he tucked him into bed. She was only convinced that Flint was safe when she heard him snore loudly.

Then, she heard the baby in the crib cry.

She immediately ran towards the crib and carried the baby gently to soothe him.

[Oh gosh… he's so tiny!]

According to Flint, his mother gave birth to his brother a year ago. So this little human being was only a year old.

She almost got emotional while singing lullaby to the baby. Sadly, she couldn't even remember if she had held Winter or sang him a lullaby when he was born. During her past life, she saw her son as nothing more than a tool to gain power.

[Winter, I miss you so much.]

Thankfully, the baby stopped crying. Then, he fell asleep again.

[How cute.]

When she was sure that the baby was sleeping deeply, she carefully put him down on the crib. Then, she gently tapped him on the tummy. She was rewarded by a beautiful smile from the little angel.

[He must be having a good dream.]

"Lady Prescott, pardon me for saying this but you look like you're the child's mother."

Tilly turned to Captain Denver who was now leaning against the wall with his arms crossed over his chest. "Really?"

If she looked like a mother just now, then maybe she could really take care of Winter this time.

Back in her second life in the modern world, she built a daycare center where she would often volunteer as a teacher. Only then would her longing for Winter lessen even just for a while. She hoped that if she was being a good "mother" to other kids, then Lucina Morganna would treat Winter kindly, too.

"Are you preparing yourself to be a mother to your future son with Captain Kiho?"

"You can say that again, Captain Denver."

"Then, be careful next time," he warned her. "If you want to live long enough to marry your fiancé and give birth to his son, then never get involved in dangerous people again."

Her smile disappeared when she remembered that they had an issue to discuss. "Captain Denver, may I know why exactly you're here?"

"Captain Ainsworth told me about the infamous child who keeps on spreading rumors about Fire Mages," he said. "Since I'm the current master of the Fire Wielder Guild, he thought I have more authority in this matter."

She gulped when she realized how serious the situation was for Captain Denver to come here himself. "D-Do you believe that Flint and his brother are Fire Mages?"

"It's a common occurrence for commoners to delude themselves as descendants of Fire Mages," he told her calmly. "They do it to make themselves feel special. But in reality, most of them just have affinity to the fire element. They could use a Fire Wielder weapon, at most. But summoning fire within their bodies is almost impossible."

"But Flint said his parents burnt the bandits to death…"

"I heard that," the captain said. "And that's exactly why I had to manipulate his memories."

She gasped when she realized what he meant. "No…"

"I was sent her to kill the child and his brother if they turn out to be real Fire Mage descendants," Captain Denver said coldly. "But I decided to spare the children. First of all, the boy called Flint doesn't have the evidence to prove that his parents really burnt the bandits to death. We can't also investigate his parents' corpses because they were already cremated and the boy spread the ashes in the sea."