Chapter 19

KIHO received a call from Blake who broke the news of Tilly's current health state.

According to the vice captain, his fiancée fainted due to high fever.

[I should hurry back to her side.]

Now he regretted not getting a communication device with Tilly. He didn't want to hear her voice or see her while on the mission because he would probably want to come home right away. But if he knew she'd get sick, he wouldn't leave her side at all.

[Past is past. I should focus on the current situation first.]

"C-Captain, can we really defeat those monsters?" Damian stuttered. The young knight was shaking in fear while looking up at the sea monsters blocking their ship. "They're huge!"

"Damian!" Whitton scolded him. "A Black Serpent knight should never tremble before the enemies! And hold your sword properly. You'll die because of your awful posture!"

"Hush," Kiho said coldly that made both Damian and Whitton quiet instantly. "I'll attack first. Just watch my back."

"Yes, Captain!" Damian and Whitton said in unison.

Kiho looked sized up the three headed black serpent in front of them.

[A serpent, huh? Our squad was named after this monster. I feel bad that I have to slay it but I have to hurry back to Tilly.]

"I'm sorry, Mr. Serpent," Kiho said while unleashing his power. The breeze started to get colder and the waves began slowing down. He was going to freeze the giant serpent and attack it to get past the monster. "You don't look appetizing so I can't bring you home to Tilly."

***

TILLY woke up alone in one of the luxurious guest rooms in Moonflower Palace.

She got up and carefully moved her shoulders in a circular motion to loosen up her muscles. Thankfully, it didn't hurt. She remembered being in pain when she fell badly on the ground because of her terrible acting.

[The royal doctor must have treated me.]

At first, she was just pretending to lose consciousness. But since she was in pain, she forced herself to sleep. She could barely remember being brought to the room to be examined by the royal doctor.

Ah, right. She woke up a while ago when the maids gave her a bath and changed her clothes into a comfortable night gown. But then, they made her drink a medicine for fever. She had to take it and so, she fell asleep again.

Luckily, no one was in the room this time when she awoke.

[I'm sure the palace sent a letter to my father to inform him that I'm spending the night here.]

Tilly was safe, right?

She didn't witness the princess faint so she didn't have to investigate the cause of it. And so, in this lifetime, she didn't have to "discover" that Her Royal Highness was taking medicine that would cause infertility.

That very act was treason.

[Does the princess secretly hate the emperor?]

But as far as she remembered, Princess Nia and Emperor Aku had a good relationship. Everyone in the empire knew that the emperor was in love with the princess. In fact, the two were the main reason why diamond rings became popular as engagement rings.

[Ever since they were kids, His Majesty would give Princess Nia diamonds as a present. So somehow, diamond became the symbol of love in the empire.]

To be honest, in her past life, she didn't think that the royal family's custom to marry within the family was weird or disgusting. For the citizens of Moonchester Empire, that was something normal. Actually, they even thought that it was the royal family's duty to the empire.