Chapter 128

[A few minutes before arriving at the Nystrom's mansion…]

"I'M GOING to teach the Black Serpent how to use his water attribute."

To say that Luna was surprised by the saint's declaration would be an understatement. The carriage that they were using was almost at the Nystrom's estate now. And yet, Saint Forrester still had something shocking to say. "Your Holiness, I don't even know that the duke has water attribute."

"Doesn't it only make sense for an ice user to manipulate water as well?" Saint Forrester asked in a bored tone. "Why are you so surprised?"

"Well, I've never seen the duke control water before," she countered. "He just freezes everything and anyone to death."

"And that's reckless," he said. "Solely relying on sheer power instead of technique is stupid. He would have died a long time ago if he was an ordinary person. But since the duke is a god himself, he was able to survive that long by simply using ice."

"But mastering a new attribute takes time, doesn't it?"

"It's not a new attribute," the saint denied while shaking his head. "The Black Serpent has always been a dual attribute user. But his ability to control water was sealed in the past."

"Was it the emperor?"

"I believe so," he said. "The Black Serpent's dominant attribute used to be water. Having the ability to control ice was just a bonus. But the emperor deemed the Black Serpent's ability to control water was far more dangerous than having the ability to freeze things. Do you know why?"

"I can try guessing," she said before she shared her opinion. "All humans are made of several elements and one of those is water. If the Black Serpent can control water, then killing a person from the inside would be easy. Unless the enemy is as strong as he is though."

"Yes, that's right," the saint said. "In the past, I've only seen the Black Serpent use his water ability once. And he didn't even use water– he used the puddle of blood of both his allies and enemies to fight."

Imagining that scene gave her shivers down her spine.

"If Duke Nystrom can do that in this era, that would be cool," she said. "Can you unseal his water attribute in the short period that you have, Your Holiness?"

Saint Forrester smirked haughtily. "I'll make the duke learn to control his water attribute again whether he likes it or not the fastest way I know."

For some reason, Luna felt nervous for the duke and duchess. Good luck, Duke and Duchess of Oakes.

***

"WELCOME to the Vermillion Tower, Miss Luna."

"That's the first time I heard the tower's proper name," Luna commented on Captain Denver's "welcome speech."" "Thank you for the warm welcome."

Well, there are genuine Fire Wielders so the royal family might have been complacent that they really successfully banished the Fire Mages from the empire.

"People just usually refer to the Vermillion as "the tower" because they find the name too mushy," Captain Denver explained with a grin while they were walking side-by-side towards the tower's entrance. "Anyway, did Duke and Duchess Nystrom already left for their vacation?"

"Uh-huh," she said. "But they gave us the permission to contact them whenever I need to. So if you have a message for them, feel free to contact them."

"I'll remember that. Thanks for the heads-up," the captain said. "Anyway, thank you for staying behind to look after Flint. He's still unconscious but since you're here now, I know that he's going to be fine."