Chapter 50

BEING aware that she was being mind controlled, Tilly didn't resist anymore.

[Captain Denver said that the trick to fight mind control is to be aware of the surroundings and pretend that you succumb to the controller.]

So she quietly followed Lahara to the tea room where Princess Nia was waiting for her. When the mage-knight pulled a chair for her, she obediently sat down across Her Royal Highness. Her movements were minimal because she was afraid to get busted so she didn't have the luxury to look around her. But she could tell that the room was luxurious, something that would fit the empire's only princess and future empress.

Anyway, after she was settled in her seat, Lahara stood behind her instead of Princess Nia. Her nape suddenly felt cold. She felt like death itself was breathing against the back of her neck.

[It's a warning. Lahara stood behind me so she could easily kill me if she needs to.]

As a person with a warm body, she broke into a cold sweat.

She could easily act like she was being controlled but hiding her fear was a different matter. If it was only her life in danger, she wouldn't be this scared. But knowing that Winter was already growing inside her womb, she feared for her son's life more than anything else.

[Don't worry, baby. Mommy will protect you at all cost.]

"Would you like some tea, Lady Prescott?" Princess Nia asked in a sweet voice while holding a teapot so gracefully.

Tilly slowly nodded her head, acting as stoic as she could. "It would be an honor to be served by you, Your Royal Highness."

The princess just smiled at her, then poured her some tea like she said.

[How can be a beautiful woman like her be so rotten inside?]

"Lady Prescott, let me ask you one thing," Princess Nia said, then sipped her tea elegantly before she continued. "Do you think Captain Kiho would win the Hunt? Tell me honestly."

"Yes, Your Royal Highness," she answered truthfully. It looked like the princess was waiting for an explanation so she gave her one. "Kiho prepared a lot for the Hunt. He went to training under my father's supervision for a week."

"Duke Prescott was a war hero," Her Royal Highness said in amusement. "When I was a little girl, I would often welcome His Grace to the palace along with the previous emperor and their entire troop. Come to think of it, your father and my father had a long history together."

"I honestly don't know much about my father being a war hero, Your Royal Highness," she confessed. "I heard stories of it from our servants. But my father doesn't want to talk about it with me."

"Understandable," the princess said. "Men believe that women shouldn't be involved in wars so they wouldn't even talk about it in our presence. After all, the gentlemen of our empire only want the ladies to smile and stay pretty." She smiled bitterly. "Fools."

"That's true," she agreed with Her Royal Highness. "But a younger generation of men doesn't have that kind of mindset anymore. Especially the ones we call "new money folks.""

The "conservative" men from the old families still strongly thought that women were nothing more than a trophy wife.

To be honest, Tilly wasn't sure if her father was one of them. Sometimes she would feel like the duke was looking down on her because she was a woman. But other times, she couldn't help but wonder if her father was doing that on purpose so she wouldn't think about leaving the mansion. He had been overprotective of her ever since she was a child.