Chapter 153

"THIS IS the last time I'm going to ask you, Mr. Knight," Luna said in a calm but menacing tone, her pink eyes glowing– making her look intimidating at the moment. "Why does Captain Ainsworth want me dead?"

She was still in the dark alley but this time, the knights who blocked the exits were all dead.

The only one she left alive was the guy who seemed to be the leader.

And the leader in question was floating in front of her right now. He had both of his hands wrapped on his neck as if he was trying to get rid of the invisible thing that was currently choking him. But of course, it was all in vain.

"If you want to live, you better open your damn mouth, son," she warned him. "Your foolish loyalty to your captain won't save you."

"C-Captain…"

She snapped her fingers when she was certain that the knight would talk now. As soon as she did, the knight plopped on the ground while catching his breath.

"Now, talk," she said, then she squatted in front of the knight to match his eye level. She also pinched his chin and forced him to face her properly. "You trailed me because I was spreading the prophecy you claim as false. Then, you tried to kill me. What would Captain Ainsworth gain by getting me killed? Wouldn't it benefit his family if that rumor spread in the whole empire since House Ainsworth is the head of the Noble Faction…"

She trailed-off when she realized that she just answered her own question.

If House Ainsworth was still in the Noble Faction, he would have grabbed the opportunity to use the false prophecy against the royal family. But if he ordered to kill her to stop the rumor from spreading, then it could only mean one thing.

House Ainsworth has switched sides!

 "The c-child of the p-prophecy belongs to H-His Majesty," the knight said in a trembling voice. She could see the fear in his eyes. The poor guy was probably traumatized after seeing his men get killed in less than a minute. "C-Captain Ainsworth doesn't w-want p-people to think o-otherwise…"

"Thank you for confirming my thoughts," she said with a smile, then she closed her hand tight. "Rest in peace, Mr. Knight."

The knight's eyes widened, then he dropped on the ground…

… dead.

Well, she said that she would let him live if she answered her question. But she answered her own question anyway, so the deal was off. But to be honest, she didn't have the intention to show mercy to the person who tried to kill her.

She wouldn't have lived that long if she was a good person.

Anyway, we have a big problem.

Luna stood up and tapped her earring-slash-communication device twice to contact the duchess. "Lady Nystrom, our plan has failed," she reported right away. "House Ainsworth is now on His Majesty's side."

***

"HOUSE Ainsworth is now on His Majesty's side."

In her past life, she remembered Captain Ainsworth opposing Winter's position as His Majesty's heir apparent. The captain even tried to stop Princess Nia's return. Needless to say, House Ainsworth was a thorn to the emperor's neck during her first life.

"Are you okay, Miss Luna?" Tilly asked worriedly. "Are you okay?"

"A troop of Golden Tiger Knights tried to kill me," Luna said. She was worried but the tone of the witch suggested that she was unharmed. "But I'm fine, Your Grace. No scratch or whatever."